Will SSD work with older MOBO?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wat0114, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The one I've got is the A8N32sli-Deluxe, circa late 2005. Should there be no problems using an SSD on this m/board? I'd like to run my O/S off of it.

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

from the specs of the mobo you cited

- 2 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66/33 connectors
    for up to four IDE devices
    - 4 x Serial ATA devices (3 Gb/s)
    - NVRAID for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5, and JBOD configuration that spans across Serial ATA drives
    Silicon Image® 3132 SATA controller supports:
    - 1 x Internal Serial ATA device (3 GB/s)

the ssd would have to have a compatible interface with what is provided on the mobo. not sure if certain features of ssd require mobo bios support, perhaps not necessary though. if in doubt check with the respective vendors, though it seems you might be ok with PATA (IDE) and SATA (faster than PATA)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Perhaps these links will help you get a better general understanding of SDD drives :

Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    SDD at Tomshardware (also note links under "content type")

As far as I have understood , then if you buy a SDD SATA drive you can put it on your computer provided you got the right cable/adaptor. (some "classical type drives also may have "jumper settings" needed - for SDD requirements please check with manufacturer)
    Western Digital says about their "WD SiliconEdge Blue" :
    Compatible
    Works in any system that accepts a
    SATA hard drive with a standard
    9.5 mm 2.5-inch form factor.

That ofcourse might require a 2.5 inch drive to 3.5 inch drive adaptor or something....

Meant as example , nothing more : WD SiliconEdge Blue 256 GB SATA Solid State Drives ( SSC-D0256SC-2100 )

Paragon Software seemingly recommend "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD" software.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you both for the information :) I'm currently using SATAII standard h/drives no problem, and the BIOS does support RAID, so I'm thinking it's probably ok to use the newer SSD type drive on it. I'll do some more digging to hopefully find something relevant to my specific mobo.

*EDIT*

did some Googling and found where someone with same mobo is running an SSD successfully, so I think I'll be okay :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.