Will restorations wear out the HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mazaprin, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazaprin

mazaprin Registered Member

I have read about Acronis restorations to the "bare metal" in their advertisement and I am concerned about how it will affect my HD life span.

Does Acronis REFORMATS the HD every time it restores an Image or it only erases all the DATA on the HD and replaces it with all the data contained in the image?

Will frequent restorations (even for test purposes) will wear out the HD or decrease its useful life?

2. Donprovo

Donprovo Registered Member

No. In fact it's good to "exercise" all those little magnetic bits and map out the bad ones before they bite your data.

3. mareke

mareke Registered Member

When Acronis restores an image it doesn't format the hard disk the way a full format involves when using the Windows XP CD or Windows 98 floppy. It does something that makes the hard disk appear blank and then writes the image to the hard disk. This doesn't involve any more stress on a hard disk than say a defrag and the hard disk won't wear out any quicker because of it.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Everyone has given you the right answer. Restoring won't affect the life of your hard drive. I have several hard drives that I put into service after they were already "used." I've restored to them many times, and they still check perfect when I check for bad sectors or logical errors.

Don't worry about this. Being able to restore completely to a prior good situation is one of those wonderful things that makes life with a computer more enjoyable with no downside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.