Will Nod32 ever give free updates forever?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by EvilNewbie, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilNewbie

EvilNewbie Registered Member

Well, will they? It seems a year isn't that long of a time but I guess it helps keep profits up. I notice that AVAST is giving free software and updates. I wouldn't mind paying but I rather have free updates permanently like TDS has.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Seems like a rethorical question, since you've answered it yourself ;)

FYI: all major AV companies use this policy. License renewal - and coming with that database updates - will pay the bill for all work needed to keep the software up to date, as well as the needed work on the labs as for new viruses are concerned. Profit comes with the territory: all security software companies aim at profit. Can't see anything wrong with that - as long as they deliver.

I presume you don't expect the needed quality from a free AV as one might expect from a commercial AV? Check the Avast Pro (commercial) rules in this context.

Well, TDS is an AT - and I for one compliment DCS for the way they handle this issue. Nevertheless: DCS isn't the issue here. NOD32 is - and it's good to know you do value quality that much your are willing to pay for that ;).

regards.

paul

3. girobb

girobb Registered Member

The price that you pay for NOD includes one year of virus def and program updates. If a new version of NOD comes out in that year, you get it. After the year, you have to pay a fee to get the definitions/updates for another year. It seems harsh, but, writing the anti-virus defs cost money, people want paid. It is not a bad price for defs and program updates.

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

And think about it this way, if your combination of free tools ever lets you down the cost of rectifying it could be alot higher, in £/$'s and hassle.
    I find it a small price to pay for a very good product with top notch support.

5. sig

sig Registered Member

Or, for example, compare it to NAV. The annual license fee for definitions has gone up to close to $20 as I understand it. If you want the new version you have to purchase that. And if you have an older pc/os the newer versions of NAV, even if there are no other problems or conflicts, may put a significant impact on resources and drag down performance.

Whereas NOD's license provides definitions and any program updates/upgrades throughout the term of the license. It also has lower resource use than some other products. It may not be the cheapest AV out there but the economics and performance has worked out for me so far.

So it all depends on your situation what you think it is worth to you. I certainly applaud those folks who offer free versions of their software or free updates for the life of the paid version, but I don't expect everyone to do it. And on the AV front, I do expect a higher level of performance from paid for AV's than the freebies.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The anti-virus program is one category that I expect to pay for on a yearly basis.I don't mind that at all.Before I purchased NOD32 I checked VirusBulletin Awards test results and I checked out the free programs. I knew then that "you get what you pay for" for av programs.Tinribs brought up the most important point of virus protection.The cost of viral damage to your computer!

7. Trevor Marsh

Trevor Marsh Guest

The folks that program/update AV software have to be paid, simple! If the product is worth the money I will pay, and I'm quite happy to re-new the NOD32 liecense whan it needs re-newing. It takes me around 13 to 20 hours to do a full re-install, (which I have had to do twice while running other AV software (that I shan't mention) that wasn't quite so "alert") at around £30.00 for a year it is cheep at 1 1/10 the price. (I cost my time at, at least £10.00 per hour, in 13 to 20 hours I can drink at least 30 pints of London Pride, if I'm having to format and re-install I'm not drinking..... :D )

Trev

8. Sonic

Sonic Registered Member

A small price to pay for what you are getting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.