Will Javascript break my TOR anonymity?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by localerror, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. localerror

localerror Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm using TOR/Privoxy once in a while and often step on pages that require Javascript for navigation. So there's either turning JS on or leaving the page.

That's why I'd like to know this: Will enabling Javascript break my anonymity the way that my real IP-address can be read by that page?

If so, can you name an example-page where I can test this? A page that shows my real IP while accessing it with TOR/Privoxy having Javascript enabled?

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

http://www.inet-police.com/cgi-bin/env.cgi

If your IP shows up in the top (white) box then Javascript is giving you away. This particular code was developed by the site owner of inet-police. It's an easy way to see if Javascript is your friend or (usually in anonymous surfing) your foe.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

AFAIK yes it will.

As for pages that require Javascript for navigation. I use two browsers Opera for regular surfing, Firefox with the switch proxie extension as I also have the Proxie Jap. I have cookies; Java: Javascript disabled. I use Tor as my main proxy BTW Tor just came-out with a new Version=0.1.1.20.

4. localerror

localerror Registered Member

Thanks Carver, already using the latest version.

Informative page, thanks. But I guess with the white box you mean the line above REMOTE_HOST?
    This line isn't generated by Javascript but by Java which is a totally different thing.
    I can't see my real IP there with Javascript enabled (with Java: yes, that shows the real IP).

So I'm not quite convinced; any other page?

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Javascript didn't reveal my true ip address at any of those websites with TOR and privoxy coupled with Proxomitron :cool:

So I don't believe it will break your anonymity. I can't exactly stand the slow surfing though :ouch:

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.