Will it run on Linux?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 357mag, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I'm not totally clear on this. Will Acronis True Image run on Linux? It says it will clone and restore Linux drives, but that does not necessarily mean you can install it on your Linux machine. That's what I'd like to know. Or would you have to install it on Windows and from Windows back up your Linux drive?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 357mag,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You cannot install Acronis True Image under Linux. However, we offer Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux that can be installed under Linux environment. However, all editions of Acronis True Image do recognize Ext2, Ext3 and some other Linux file ssytems and you will be able to create images of Linux partitions from Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

To clarify: If you install the basic True Image for windows on a windows partition (almost any recent version of windows), it will (1) "see" any LINUX partitions on the PC, (2) will make images of them to any windows-compatible file system (e.g., FAT32, NTFS) on any internal or external hard drive, CD, DVD, ZIP, etc, (3) will make a bootable CD for you that can "see" all partitions without running windows, (4) and that bootable CD will make backup images and it will restore images, even those of LINUX partitions. The bootable CD happens to run a version of LINUX.

4. 24texas

24texas Registered Member

So to make an image of a Linux box under Windows, you have to be running SAMBA??

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 24texas,

If you are running only Linux you can install Acronis True Image Server for Linux that designed special for use in Linux environment.

If you are running both Linux and Windows you can install Acronis True Image under Windows and create images of your Linux-based partitions/disk.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

6. stevem

stevem Registered Member

Yes to all of those.

I have a Linux Reiserfs partition sharing a drive with Windows XP and have backed up both partitions to an external NTFS formatted drive. The bootable CD can see the backed up Linux partition though I haven't actually needed to restore it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.