Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Will Chrome have a 10% market share by the end of 2010?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Be careful that you don't end up the one looking stupid with comments like that. He said Opera's problems might have more than the marketing issue I commented on. That's a technical comment, not a fanboy remark. My glasses may need readjusting, but I don't see anywhere that Eice said Chrome was without problems, nor where he blamed JUST the website or JUST the browser. Maybe I'm reading your comments wrong (it happens), but you look like you're putting words in the mouths of others and not really reading what is being said. Forgive me if I'm wrong, these are words on a forum, I can't always judge tone or intent.

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yes, you got it all wrong. But I won't use against you statements like:
    Leave Impoliteness to your Buddy. He is the one who uses Offensive Language and then, taken care by the Mods!

The entire argumentation of your Buddy was based on the issue that Web-Sites are the really ones to blame on Chrome Rendering problems; not Chrome itself! That's why he questioned the ScreenShot I posted!
    This is what ALL Chrome Fanboys have done: Blame it on Web-Sites and Never on Chrome Developers!
    I dropped Opera and Chrome long ago!
    So, you are not a Chrome Fanboy/Fanatic, ah?
    No, not at all!
    Chrome releases one version after the other (almost one version every month...).
    Chrome Fanboys see that
    Others see that Chrome has a Long way to cover and overcome the problems users are complaining about!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Okay, I've got to call you out, I can see just by your last post now that you're one of those types. I didn't intend to take this so far off topic, but the BS has to be pointed out.

1. He's not my buddy, he's a member I agree with in this case.

2. Evidently my glasses DON'T need readjusting, I was right, you can't or refuse to read.

3. Stop taking unrelated quotes from others and using it for your arguments. When you quoted Eice saying "Which is what we Chrome users have been enjoying for months"...it was in regards to another poster complaining about the lack of ad-blocking. Anyone who wants to confirm that can go to the first two pages and then call you out as I am.

4. You STILL somehow are magically coming up with this stuff that people are JUST blaming websites. I swear to God, I HAVE to be blind because I simply don't freaking see anyone saying that. Hell, even YOU said "maybe" about websites being only to blame. Are you doubting your own opinion or are you just looking for a fight now? What is so difficult about blaming websites? Does Active X work on Firefox? No. So websites that use it won't work. Active X is PURELY an IE technology, so who should take the blame here, Firefox for not supporting one of the most insecure things in the history of the web?

I'm done arguing with you. Go ahead, quote parts of my post too and use them for your arguments, I don't care. Anyone with a brain and eyes, which is a good majority of people here, will see through it and know your full of it. Was that impolite? Damn right.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Actually, ActiveX is a purely Windows-only (not IE-only) technology. Plenty of other Windows programs have their functionality built-in as ActiveX controls.

There's also nothing inherently insecure about ActiveX, except perhaps where early versions of IE would download and run them without prompting the user. The NPAPI plugins supported by Firefox are equally vulnerable to exploits, e.g. Adobe Flash. ActiveX's security issues made good PR for Mozilla, but IIRC the major reason Firefox didn't support it was because it wasn't cross-platform.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Thanks for the correction, I was certain that Active X was an IE thing. In any case, I stand by the rest of my previous post. I hate when people pull that kind of crap. Oh well, moving on :)

6. njespo

njespo Registered Member

its going to be a challenge but it wouldn't surprise me to see google increase market share to at or near 10%

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can easily see 8% by years end. Here's another "newb" question from me, however. How do people who, like many of us here I'm sure, test out another browser and then leave it behind, factor into these numbers? I know there are quite a few ways browser usage numbers can be both under and overestimated, but I wasn't sure how people like I previously mentioned were counted. It seems to me then, that these numbers are "guesstimates". Perhaps I'm wrong.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Oh c'mon fellas, you're going to ruin Chrome's second birthday!

The terrible twos have started! :eek:

I've found a cure for the new default theme anyway.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hey! You guys are going to get this thread closed if someone notices this spat. The question is will Google Chrome have 10%.......:D

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. If the feud continues, this thread will close. Its future is in your hands!

11. xandros

xandros Registered Member

one time i use google chrome and i will never use it again, i use firefox & opera

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've had some success using

-user-agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)"
    or
    -user-agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)"

as switches to spoof IE6 and IE8 from a WinXP3 machine.

As far as possible, I don't use the switches because I want to be counted as a Chromie :thumb:

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm a long time FF user, and a year ago I installed Chrome to check it out. At the time it was pitiful but I decided to leave it in place and watch it as it developed. It has become pretty good and has extensions to dress it up just like FF, and a selection of skins too. I have made it my default browser because it has a simple layout while still having what it takes. Note the header with 3 toolbars about 1.25" high. Then notice all the other browsers whose header takes up a quarter of the page as an example. If you use it for a while it grows on you. My FF is still right there in case I want to switch back for a while. :cool:

14. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

Google Chrome still making improvements and FF just get stuck lol

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info. :thumb:

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Is Google going after the office crowd to get the numbers?

Source

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

18. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Last week I changed from FF 4 beta 6 to Chrome 8 beta, which is now my default browser.

I used FF for years, changed to v. 4 since beta 1, but finally got tired of problems and delays.

So far, Chrome has worked very well, I have had only one Flash crash, which recovered quite softly. I have no problems with extensions, and I am using hardware acceleration without having to change the NVIDIA driver configuration to avoid crashes.

Some of my financial sites don´t work with Chrome and I have to use IE 8. But they never worked with FF either.

I will try IE 9 when the final version is out, if it better than Chrome I will use only it.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Are you using ADBLOCK? if so, you can click on the icon and allow your financial site which will turn the icon green, and your site should work.:)

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

And the correct answer is........o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O? yes or no o_O

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I just saw this :( hence the late response on my part.

Mostly, "ADBLOCK" has nothing to do with sites, including financial ones, not working with Chrome, IMO.

Sometimes, the fault is in bad coding. Chrome seems to be very finicky.***

Sometimes, there's very elementary browser sniffing in place which can be circumvented by using another user agent string.

Some sites will only work with Internet Explorer, period.

And, of course, sometimes the fault is at Chrome's end or due to an issue with the WebKit engine. If it is the latter, Safari also won't work provided it uses the same WebKit version.

***If you look at this issue, and at comments 28, 37, 47, and 70 in particular, you'll get an idea of how Chrome becomes "problematic" for users by doing "the right thing", at least according to them (the Chrome devs).

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

With IE and FF, I have had No Site Rendering problems.
    I cannot say the same with Opera and GC though...;)

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Mr. PC, if you find the time, could you do me a favour and check out these four sites using FF and IE?
    Please also mention the versions of the browsers.
    http://selfcare.ndc.bsnl.co.in/irj/portal
    http://selfcare.sdc.bsnl.co.in/irj/portal
    http://selfcare.edc.bsnl.co.in/irj/portal
    http://selfcare.wdc.bsnl.co.in/irj/portal

I just want your feedback on the page you see and not after logging in because that's for customers.

One more addition: -https://www.icicipruamc.com/tracker/main.asp-

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010
  25. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.