Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Will Chrome have a 10% market share by the end of 2010?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I haven't had that problem yet & it seems to be working quite well. In fact the only pages that Chrome seems to break for me are things like National Geographic slide shows. Although that seems to only be true if I open the page from my Google Reader. I just can't figure it either. o_O

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Seems like Chrome started the new browser war :D

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I swear, the more I hear the words "browser war", the more hair I pull out, so please, stop. I don't look good bald. In terms of breaking websites, that's going to depend on where you go, of course. For me, it still breaks a lot of things. Your mileage may vary. As I stated earlier, Chrome has a LONG way to go before it takes anything over. But, its mere existence in its current form means that neither IE nor Firefox can afford to twiddle their thumbs anymore.

4. Daveski17

Any browser 'conflict' can only be good for us, the users of said browsers though. :)

Throughout history warfare or economic competition has stimulated the development of technology. In fact we invented the programmable electronic computer ostensibly to crack the German Enigma code.

I'm just glad that there are ANY alternatives to Internet Explorer out in the wild. Using IE 8 I tend to pull my hair out! :eek:

I think, to extend the metaphor slightly, IE have been sitting on their thumbs & I'm not sure what exactly Mozilla have been doing with their thumbs but I wish they'd pull their finger out!
    :thumb: :thumbd: :thumb: :thumbd: ;)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The elves are working. :)

6. Daveski17

Cool ... Go elves! :cool:

Just as long as the elves don't turn to the dark side & become gremlins...;)

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The latest.

8. Daveski17

Let's hope Mozilla can fix that 'Twitter Bug' & I can open my My Yahoo! page with Fx 4!

Bloody gremlins ... o_O

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Will they continue the tradition of not being available for other platforms (operating systems) in the direct sense, meaning not having to resort to Wine, or whatever it is that allows the Win OS to run on a Mac?

Also, I understand that XP won't run IE9.

In edit:
    And the link provided by Ronjor has, for example, this justification for IE9 not being made for use across platforms:
    So, all said and done about IE9 being standards-compliant, we may be back to an IE6-type of world in which certain web-sites work best with Internet Explorer!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, that won't ever change, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

@ Dave: Come now, Dave, I can understand not liking IE8 if it doesn't run well, but the rest of your comments just aren't true. IE8 has come a LONG way from the days when IE truly was a terrible browser and so dangerous to use, and no, I won't listen to or look at speed benchmarks as any "proof" of one browser being the best. If anyone else wants to play that game, have at it.

IE and, especially, Firefox, have not sat on or twiddled any thumbs if you seriously want to discuss it. IE8 made a LOT of progress in security for one thing. It's an overall good, secure browser that doesn't need extensions to be so. Firefox has had the advantage of being almost "build your own browser" with its extensions and themes. Has it always been the safest? No, but add-ons like NoScript covered most of the weak spots. Over the years it has gotten heavier in usage, but so has every browser that has added functionality and so will every browser that continues to do so. That's just the nature of the beast.

There is absolutely nothing about Chrome that makes it "better" than, at least for now, Firefox. And if IE9 has the same effort put into it, Chrome won't be "better" than it either. Chrome, like every other browser besides IE, is an option, and that is all it and every other alternative browser will ever be.

11. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

IE9 will be like nothing seen before as web browser, :eek: forget Chrome Opera, Firefox and Safari is not even close bro

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I hope that was sarcastic, lol, this thread really does not need to get a bunch of nonsense started up again.

13. Daveski17

So, at the end of the day, all prejudices & personal experiences aside, the future does seem to look bright for the end-users of most browsers. :cool:

Ya can't knock that! :thumb:

I think we are drifting off-topic a bit ... I still think Chrome will gain quite a few more users in the coming months/years. I have no idea if it will hit 10% by the end of this year but it's now my preferred browser of choice. I have used SRWare Iron since the #2 series (over a year ago) & I was converted to Chromium based browsers almost instantly (I always liked WebKit anyway).

The only problem with Iron is that it seems to be bedevilled by small bugs. When Google changed their user tracking policy I downloaded Chrome. I've never regretted this. IE 9 & Fx 4 will have to be really good to convince me to start using them regularly again. I think it was the simplicity & speed that attracted me to Chrome/Iron notwithstanding the extensions & general safety. There are rumours that Ubuntu may switch to Chrome from Fx on its desktop release.

Fx 4 is a bit make or break for the fox I think. It has been steadily losing users for a while now & Chrome has been gaining. I can't see Chrome disappearing any time soon.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

My comment was in perspective of the numbers game, market share. If a browser, any browser, is restricted to a particular OS, I don't think it can be positive for market share.

Whether there's anything wrong or not is a matter of opinion and circumstance. At least two elementary situtations come to mind: an IT-savvy company and one that itsn't. The former may be swayed by arguments to use and constantly upgrade the OS and dependencies of a proprietary IT-provider. This could have an effect on the customer, forcing the customer to use compatible software to access the company website.

If you don't mind, I'll give you three examples. One is quite a popular private bank in India. The second is India's largest (and government-owned telecom giant), BSNL. The third is one of India's largest mutual funds.

If you like you can check out what is written at the bottom of those pages or the "splash" with the third link. To avoid causing problems I've inserted three spaces in each URL which may please be removed before use :).

1. ht tp:// www. axisbank.com/
    With this site, after you check out the browser requirement on the welcome page, you can even click on the login button on the left-hand side and see the browser requirement right at the bottom of the login page.

2. ht tp:// selfcare. wdc.bsnl.co.in/irj/portal

3. ht tps:// www. icicipruamc.com/tracker/main.asp

Any comments are welcome.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm not sure. If progress means excluding others or restricting access to those with a particular browser (and, with IE9, a particular OS) I wonder what the notebook and Ipad, and other mobile computing device owners will do.

16. Daveski17

That's a good point. I think the fact that IE 9 can't be run on XP (or earlier) is a problem fundamental to Microsoft & their policies. I was just musing on the fact that there are more choices & ideas about browsers. This can't be bad for the end-user. Plus they are all freeware.

I mean, no one should have to use Internet Explorer (ever) if they have a choice!

17. Daveski17

Well, maybe I'm being just a bit sarcastic because IE doesn't perform well in my opinion on any computer.

IE 8 may be safer now & even has extensions available, I just don't like it.

I really liked Fx #2 but I am not so sure about Firefox now. My Fx is heavily customised, I don't dislike it & it is always useful, I just wish they'd fix that bloody 'Twitter Bug'! :mad:

I think everyone should just have all three. It's just a pity there isn't ONE browser that does everything well ...

Do you think I'm asking for the impossible?

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Honestly, yeah, I think you're asking the impossible if you mean a browser that does everything well. That's simply because every browser developer has a different vision of what a good browser should be, what it does, how it should perform. They also have a difference in opinion on technologies, and, accordingly, decide to support them in their browsers or not support them.

19. Daveski17

All I'm asking for is a quick stable customisable safe browser (with some form of JScript whitelist) that can use some extensions & doesn't break my My Yahoo! page.

The only browser that does this for me is Chrome. Maybe it will hit that 10%!

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

For me, that browser is Firefox. I don't know what's going on with your Yahoo issue, but, as far as I can remember, I've not run into issues. NoScript has your whitelist and Firefox is about as customizable as I believe any browser is likely to ever get. I do believe Chrome will eventually hit the 10% mark, just not this year. And, again, it all depends on Firefox 4 and IE 9 if Chrome sees any decent rise past 10%.

21. Daveski17

At the moment my Firefox has one of Frank Lion's Metal Lion 'Safari' themes & I've wasted the second search box SeaMonkey style. Fx is a great all round browser even though I really do prefer SeaMonkey. Unfortunately the monkey can break pages & has some compatibility problems. I think my Yahoo! page is too customised AjaxScript wise as Fx & SM break it on any computer (laptop or desktop) that I've tried. SeaMonkey did this bug about a year ago & they fixed it (I think KaiRo does a great job) but now the throbber won't load again. This bug is sometimes known as the 'Twitter Bug' allegedly as it affects people on some Twitter pages. I wouldn't mind but it's the first page I open on a morning & every other browser in creation is fine in it. NoScript works well on both Fx & SM. It's a pity it isn't available for Chrome (yet). It will be interesting to see Fx 4 in its release form & how it affects Chrome figures. No doubt I'll have to do a clean install. :eek:

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about Ajax. But, like I said, no issues here thus far EXCEPT the occasional issue with Yahoo Mail. However, I sometimes have problems loading it in IE 8 as well. *shrug* Who knows?

23. Daveski17

Oddly Fx works fine in Yahoo! Mail for me. I have some problems with IE 8 in Hotmail, so I'm scared to try it in Yahoo!LOL!

If things fail in Chrome thank god there's always Firefox to fall back on. :cool:

I can understand why some people running Win 7 uninstall IE 8. Although I honestly can't see the point in that. It's still usable, just a tad sluggish & annoying for me (in Vista).

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

IE has problems with Hotmail, a Microsoft service, that's interesting, lol. Heck of a machine you have there, Dave. :D

25. Daveski17

I've noticed it on other computers though. I start writing an email & for some reason the page starts to load again. I can see the green ribbon trace filling & sometimes it reloads & wastes everything I have written. This used to happen regularly on another computer I use. So I have no idea what's going on with that.

o_O

Yahoo! & Gmail work fine in every other browser. Even Firefox. Now you may have an inkling of why I don't have too high an opinion of Microsoft. Considering most people seem to believe Google to be in league with the Devil or something (or at least the Young Conservatives) I find that their stuff not only works very well, it's free. Mind you, so is Mozilla. At least Gmail works perfectly well in Chrome. Well ... it'd have to, right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.