Will ChatGPT Replace Google? The Future of Search Engines in the AI Era

Discussion in 'AI Technologies' started by guest, Jan 23, 2023.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If a real person had talked him into doing it they would have been charged with a crime...

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Ok, so they should charge Eliza owners then I guess

3. xxJackxx

That wasn't really my point. It is obviously an influencer, and should be handled accordingly. If it can motivate someone to do what they did, you have to be prepared for the "what's next?" if it is allowed to continue.

4. reasonablePrivacy

I doubt that at individual level it will cause considerably more harm than general bad people giving harmful advice with hostile intention on the Web. I mean GPTs are generative mainly in the name - there is some randomness added to the system every time to generate slightly different response. This doesn't change general rule that model mostly repeats and blends things based on what was already found in 2021 on the Internets. Last but not least it only "generates" response when asked/prompted

I had some more concerns regarding use by nations states and corporations - disinformation, defamation etc. You can't stop them now though by disabling a few of commercial services, because the general idea and some details about engineering around it is public now

5. plat

plat Registered Member

This blog is a bit dated (Feb 2023) but I find it illuminating. Basically, he says as this AI bot is still churning out mis-information, people are still taking it as the gospel truth because they lack the motivation and attention span to fact-check.. We're on our way down a slippery slope if we don't take a moment to orient ourselves to reality. What is "reality?" Lemme ask ChatGPT and I'll get back to ya. :cautious:

https://escapingtech.com/tech/opinions/the-ai-search-engine-problem.html

Edit: just took a moment to scroll down some prev. pages--this thread is amazing!

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65333115

8. xxJackxx

This will always be a thing regardless of the source. People believe what they want to believe and will use any source they can to justify it.

9. plat

plat Registered Member

Doesn't this scare you a little? Gives me the willies. Remember hearing about that psychology experiment where there was a subject and all these players were lying about something, so convincingly that the subject eventually also claimed to be seeing the same thing as all the liars? Something like that.

10. xxJackxx

I'm starting to think this entire existence is a psychology experiment. Though I don't believe that snopes is 100% accurate in every article the fact that they exist is evidence that there are a lot of untrue things being told that never happened. Then there's the Mandela effect where people are wrong about things they are pretty sure happened. Now it all has an AI assist. Scare me a little? It would be an understatement for me to say so.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. pegas

pegas Registered Member

IBM to Pause Hiring for Jobs That AI Could Do
    ... and people won't have anything to eat.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

FYI:

Today, Wednesday 5/16/23 at 10:00AM

(A video of the hearing will be available at the same link after the live broadcast.)

https://www.c-span.org/video/?528117-1/openai-ceo-testifies-artificial-intelligence

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

17. reasonablePrivacy

It seems that Bing Chat apprently won't replace Google Search soon

Bing Search shows few, if any, signs of market share increase from AI features

https://arstechnica.com/ai/2024/01/report-microsofts-ai-infusion-hasnt-helped-bing-take-share-from-google/

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I do believe that Google Search is getting more stupid by the day. I searched for the movie Boomerang, but it couldn't find it, until I typed ''Boomerang movie''. I really need a more smart search engine, so I hope OpenAI will soon release one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boomerang movie&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Isn't it only natural that Google would show results about boomerangs, rather than the movie. I'd never even heard of the movie until I saw your post and it's not a problem having to add the word movie to your search.

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It was a quite popular movie back in 1992. And I often search for movies on Google, most of the time it does find it. But lately I feel like it's geting more stupid. Perhaps Google gets better at finding stuff when you login into your Google account, who knows. I would have hoped that once Google sees what your interests are, it gets better in suggesting stuff. I also often look for information about companies since I'm a stocktrader, and it often does not give me the results what I'm looking for. It's almost like they are NOT using any AI.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.