Will ChatGPT Replace Google? The Future of Search Engines in the AI Era

Discussion in 'AI Technologies' started by guest, Jan 23, 2023.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. plat

plat Registered Member

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...n-so-cheap-employees-now-have-to-share-desks/
    Doesn't seem to be universal and applicable to all employees, but it's a sad indicator in general. This ChatGPT thing is causing some interesting ripple effects so far. Or maybe Ars is blowing this out of proportion for the sake of views. Maybe both. :cautious:

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

The same happened in my company almost a year ago, long before that AI language model. In general people don't want to come to the office full time + stock market plunged, so it is indeed a rather expected move to save on real estate.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Just wait until lonely teens 13 or 14 and up discover it. They'll all be trying to sext with the things.

5. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes of course, and you see this economizing everywhere nowadays--but Google always seemed a very wealthy kraken and not afraid to flaunt it sometimes.

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Elon Musk is currently developing his own AI chatbot. He says that his AI version will not be 'woke'. Woke means “aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues", re: Websters.

It has morphed into meaning more than that, becoming mostly ideologically based, and Musk has velcroed himself to the latter. Apparently his AI chatbot is going to be 'free' to express itself, uninhibited by human emotional baggage (the griefcase!).

I suppose it could be implemented in Tesla(s) - imagine the reaction a driver may have when it becomes contrarian. For Twitter, I expect it could be used in customer care and business relations - a means by which sensitivity gets catapulted into oblivion. It may even have it's own Twitter handle where it pumps out unabashed responses to certain tweets - as a revenue generator and agitator. The 'X' project maybe where it is ultimately destined - as a search engine perhaps?

All the what-ifs are speculation on my part.

7. reasonablePrivacy

If he does that AI will become tightly regulated by governments. All other AI companies will be "thankful" to
    I think it is a bluff, but maybe he lost his mind recently

8. plat

plat Registered Member

You know, that's the most twee and annoying term I can recall in recent times. As for Elon-baby, his speech is more "free" than anyone else's and you better be worshiping that. So yeah, I can just see where this is heading.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Sounds good.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

11. plat

plat Registered Member

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I saw the thread on Malwaretips. I simply canot bring myself to carry on a conversation with a machine. It's too much like 'Terminator' to suit me.

13. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, it doesn't seem conducive to familiar and personable discussion. It still seems to be in the testing phase. I mean, if it would be corralled in a few threads instead of running rampant all over, I could live with that. Maybe only in threads it starts or something.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It does seem that ChatGPT and the like are becoming another step in virtual encroachment of life.
    Soon there will be no real reality, everything will be made up for us.

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Meta's CEO is 'all in' on AI ...

"We're starting by pulling together a lot of the teams working on generative AI across the company into one group focused on building delightful experiences around this technology. ...

"In the short term, we'll focus on building creative and expressive tools," he wrote. "Over the longer term, we'll focus on developing AI personas that can help people in a variety of ways."

The legacy of the metaverse remains because Meta will continue to develop remnants of this virtual world, such as headsets, but it will be more for a target audience, such as videogamers and the crypto world.

Credit to Zuckerberg: He spares himself humiliation by surreptitiously and deftly redirecting the attention of his critics to AI, which most experts consider a true technological revolution.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tec...berg-quietly-buries-the-metaverse/ar-AA188XQ6

16. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I read that the computing power needed to use it in search engines is around five times greater.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

No matter what we post, a truth or a lie, will end up on the internet - the search engine that vacuums it up, does not care. The developers and the companies that deploy LLMs, also do not care. The Chatbots, LLMs that scour the internet, also do not care. In this article, ChatbotGPT has produced an untrue response and then added its own lie (a link to several media outlets that had no such articles on the subject).

https://www.theregister.com/2023/03/02/chatgpt_considered_harmful/

I offer this to BS Bing to present to anybody who may wish to do a search on Emmjay: You might expect someday to see a police helicopter footage of me running naked down a highway median with the family pet alligator over one shoulder as I flee the detonated ruins of the family compound’s meth lab trailer, pursued by my common-law 4th wife, who also happens to be a first cousin, my parole officer, and a Santeria priestess.

19. reasonablePrivacy

Disclaimer : didn't read article yet
    Aside from conflating Internet with Web or even Web search engine:
    Wasn't the Web pages that are accessible without any login considered by some court verdict a public space? If so why is anyone surprised?

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

GM explores using ChatGPT in vehicles

21. anon

anon Registered Member

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

24. reasonablePrivacy

Stanford’s Alpaca shows that OpenAI may have a problem

https://the-decoder.com/stanfords-alpaca-shows-that-openai-may-have-a-problem

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  25. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Guessing you have not toyed with ChatGPT yet. I've plugged in inquiries with regard to the current state of politics, philosophy in general, and the correlation between science and religion.
    ChatGPT is quite admirable in its ability to eloquently parrot facts and figures respective to physics, chemistry, astronomy, statistics, etcetera (being the operative), that would take perhaps many hours to navigate the same answers via Google.
    On the other hand, ChatGPT is virtually useless with regard to topics that veer away from empirical black and white. The app is obviously deficient because it is both explicitly and blatantly wired with a rigid set of "politically correct" and
    mainstream ethical expectations. Your "lonely teens" supposition or even broaching the academic virtues of an atheist vs the alternative argument side of a debate shown on YouTube (as an example amongst many other sources and considerations)
    is an absolute non-starter with ChatGPT.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.