Will Acronis True Image 2009 beta work with this controller card?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cyber Akuma, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Registered Member

I guess I should explain why I need to do my backups this way:

I have four harddrives in my system, all IDE, a 120gig, a 120gig, a 160gig and a 300gig.

Those last two are connected by a RAID card because my motherboard does not support LBA48, its an old system.

At first I got a 750GB sata drive which I plan to use with an external USB enclosure to do the backup using the Boot CD.

But I forgot that my motherboard only has USB 1.0 ports, my USB 2.0 ports are provided by a PCI card, which I doubt would work with the Acronis boot CD.

After multiple choices on what I could do, I decided to use a 500GB harddrive to replace my 160 and 300 (they are too far apart to connect with a single IDE cable) and replace my controller card with the Rosewill RC-212 which provides one IDE and two SATA connections:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009

The only thing I need to make sure of before I order all these parts and go through with this is if Acronis True Image 2009 will work with this controller card in Boot CD mode. I was originally going to use Acronis True Image 11, but then I heard about that bug where it writes corrupt data to NTFS volumes ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=218437 ), and all my drives are formatted NTFS, even the backup drive.

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

One of my PCs is older and was built with USB 1. I added a card for USB 2.0. ATI images and restores via the USB 2.0 with no problems.

That NTFS bug has affected only a small number of users. It likely won't be an issue for you. I routinely image NTFS disks to external HDs that are also formatted NTFS. I've never had a problem. And, as K0lo wrote in that thread you linked:
    Remember not to blow a few complaints out of proportion. People with problems come to these forums. Thousands of people who use ATI every day without any problems don't come to these forums.

The best way to find out if ATI will work with your system is to download the trial.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I also added a USB 2 pci card (NEC chipset) and True Image has no problems detecting external drives connected to it.

4. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Registered Member

Hmm, well, if it works with my USB card that would certanely save me a lot of money and time, i'll try it next time I reboot, which I admit could be a while.

However, as I mentioned, I do still have two drives connected through an IDE controller card because I don't have enough IDE ports on my motehrboard and it cannot support drives this large, the card I have right now is a PROMISE ULTRA133 TX2.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102007

Any idea if Acronis will work with this?

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I run TI9 on a Promise card like that with an IDE drive on an old Asus A7A66 motherboard. No problems. It does give some message about it getting an extra byte when the TI recovery environment starts but it causes no problem. The Promise card has both HDs connected to it.

Interestingly, I bought the Promise card because my old Drive Image program ran like a dead dog when using the motherboard's controller. I don't know how TI would have worked since the performance with the Promise card is excellent in Windows as well.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Be sure to check a backup via the PCI USB 2 card. It will work, but if it's an odd chipset, it might only work at USB 1.1 speeds. The NEC USB chipset works at full speed with TI boot CDs. Adaptec USB cards use the NEC chipset, but lots of other brands do also.

I think you wil find everything works the way your want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.