Will acronis Disc Image work for this application?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by morkys, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morkys

morkys Registered Member

Ok, Here is what I have:

PC with:

1) MS WIN XP Pro with SP2
    2) 200 GB 7200.7 SATA Seagate HD as my bootable system HD. Seagate is NTFS with 2 primary and 1 extended partition with 2 logical drives
    3) WD WD800JB on EIDE channel with 4 FAT32 partitions

I want to be able to image my system from the Seagate drive to the WD drives and do other various backup tasks. If I must, I'm willing to turn one of the WD paritions into an NTFS of identical size as my Seagate to simplfy imaging my system.

Thanx in advance for any feedback,

:)

P.S. Any Canadians have suggestions on where I would buy Acronis disc image if I went ahead? I could buy it online and download it, but if there is a local place in Toronto area where I can find it, please PM or maybe we can chat in email. If this isn't allowed on this forum, just let me know and I'll edit or erase this part of my message or moderators feel free to do it for me :)

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi morkys - it should work. You can continue with the FAT32 partition, if you don't mind True Image automatically splitting the image file into several sub-images at 4 GB boundaries. Sometimes you might actually want to do this manually, e.g. if you plan on saving the sub-images to DVD's, in which case a 1.4 - 2.0 GB boundary is best.

As always, do download the free trial version and experiment with it. It is a very good learning tool.

3. morkys

morkys Registered Member

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I don't have any problem with making an NTFS partition or using the FAT32 with 4GB, but I'd rather go with one NTFS partition.

Any problem using a Serial ATA HD as my source?

thanx

:)

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

> As always, do download the free trial version and experiment with it. It is a very good learning tool.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello morkys,

SATA drives themselves aren't a problem. The potential 'gotcha' is whether or not your motherboard's SATA controller chipset is correctly detected after booting from the (Linux based) TI bootable rescue disk. As MiniMax says, download the free trial version and give it a shot.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.