will acronis change my boot partition drive letter ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EntilZha, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EntilZha

EntilZha Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm considering moving from Norton Ghost to Acronis True Image but I need to be sure about something first.

I've had some issues when putting back my Ghost image because my windows boot partition has the drive letter L:
    Now upon restoring the volume, the boot partition drive letter would change back to standard C:
    Known problem here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/

I went through quite some trouble to restore the registry of that image
    I don't wanna go through that again and need to be sure Acronis won't do the same.

Thanks.

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

The standard and preferred boot letter is C:/. There may be several reasons that yours has drive L:/.
    In winxp you can change your drive letter assignments easily, but some of your installed programs on the boot drive may not respond.
    I would go ahead and change your boot drive/partition to C:/ and then reinstall the offending progs to adjust to this. It can be done thru registry setting as well, but a reinstall is easier for most users.
    Then, with your normal boot drive as c:/, any subsequent restores should also be C:/ upon reboot, in any imaging program.
    As a precautionary measure I set optical drives starting at the back of the alphabet eg. dvd=z, dvdrw=y

3. EntilZha

EntilZha Registered Member

I know all that, but changing the boot partition letter is exactly what I don't wanna do.
    It's the cause of the problem, not the solution.

I've lived with the L: now for so long and all the software is installed on the drive. That's really not an option, to simply re-install all the software, I could better re-install Windows for that matter.

I would just like to know, does Acronis change my boot partition drive letter ?

Thx

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.