WiFi Protected Setup PIN brute force vulnerability

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/wifi-protected-setup-flaw-can-lead-compromise-router-pins-122711:
    Vulnerability Note VU#723755

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Anyone running DD-WRT on any router will be immune to this attack.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Turn it off.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Also cited at: H-Online
    Article

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Or, as mentioned in the article, implementation of a temporary login lockout after f.i. 5 failed login attempts would be enough to keep WPS safe in it's current state.

8. Hungry Man

After initial setup there should be no reason to turn it on. Temporary login lockout is a good idea regardless.

9. guest

guest Guest

This is awful, I really like WPS, it makes easy to connect devices.

So if I disable WPS, devices that were connected using WPS will connect again after a shutdown?

10. Hungry Man

No clue.

11. x942

x942 Guest

And this is why I have been turning it off since it was released. I have never trusted WPS as I have no control over how it works, how long the pin is, where it gets the PIN from, how often it changes, etc etc. I don't trust things I don't control so I disable them. I figured it was a matter of time before this happened.

DDWRT is a good solution too! :thumb:

12. guest

guest Guest

According to this article: http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/01/hands-on-hacking-wifi-protected-setup-with-reaver.ars

Turning WPS off doesn't work to mitigate the vulnerability:

13. guest

guest Guest

14. Hungry Man

I'm quite sure. DDWRT does not have support for this feature at all.

15. guest

guest Guest

True, but a statement from a DD-WRT dev about the WPS vulnerability wouldn't hurt.

I'm somewhat surprised that there is no other mention in DD-WRT forum about the WPS vulnerability, besides this.

16. Hungry Man

It's been mentioned on other forums/ blogs and it's pretty much been stated that openwrt and ddwrt are 100% immune to this attack as WPS isn't included.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned either.

17. guest

guest Guest

18. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

If by "it" you mean the router, then I'm with you. How many people leave their router on 24/7? Turn it off when you're asleep or not at home. It's a super basic security principle but highly effective. They can't crack something that's not on.

19. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Also, why isn't everyone using WPA?

20. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

I bought a wireless router last week and after reading some info on setting up WPA2 passwords etc I though I was secure, however after reading this I'm not so sure.

My question is does this security hole still exist? I have a TP-Link router and it's firmware was updated twice this year (in Jan and Feb) but there is no mention on the "modifications and bug fixes" log of the WPS issue for either update.

Just wanted confirmation before I try DD-WRT and risk bricking my router:eek:

21. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

Ignore the above question i think I have all the info I need, i.e. no the firmware updates haven't fixed the issue.

However with regard to the issue of turning the WPS fuction off I found this site
    http://www.safegadget.com/72/major-wireless-network-vulnerability-wps-bug/
    which has a link to a google docs spreadsheet where people have been testing to see if they can crack the WPS on specific routers. Also included is a column on whether WPS can be turned off and if it actually stays off. Here is the link
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ags-JmeLMFP2dFp2dkhJZGIxTTFkdFpEUDNSSHZEN3c

This tells me that my routers WPS function can be turned off, though I can't vouch for the spreadsheets reliabilty. Still might give DD-WRT a go anyway.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.