Widespread crashes with ProcessGuard 3.000

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nameless, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I spent two days configuring ProcessGuard 3.000, including extensive use of learning mode. I read the docs, and was very careful. And most things seemed to work pretty well.

My system, BTW, is WinXP Pro SP-2, and runs Look 'n' Stop 2.05p2 and KAV 5.0 Personal.

I disabled execution protection, because that feature annoys me very significantly. (This point probably doesn't figure in, but I thought I'd mention it.) I had all the global options enabled.

Suddenly, out of the blue, almost every program on my system crashed. And I mean programs that never crash, and programs that render your Windows session dead if they crash--like CSRSS.EXE, WINLOGON.EXE, SVCHOST.EXE, and lots of third-party programs and services, including JAVAW.EXE. All came crashing to the ground, with the "Click OK to terminate, or Cancel to debug" dialog for each. It wasn't cool at all.

Nothing was logged, so I have no way to trace what happened.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Nameless, Sounds like a catastrophic failure and is possibly coincidental to your removing Execution Protection.
    I have also removed Execution Protection during testing and have not seen any detrimental effects. Neither have there been any other instances reported.
    You say there was nothing in your logs, were you talking about PG's logs or windows event log?

Can you please state your machine spec & OS

Thank you. Pilli

3. nameless

I meant that there were no PG logs. If there was anything in Event Viewer, I didn't see it, and it's too late to check now, as I've restored from an image taken prior to the crash.

The system is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 1.0-GB memory, and normally very stable.

OS is mentioned above, but again, it is WinXP Pro SP-2.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Almost exactly the same configuration as I have though your CPU is slightly faster.
    You did not mention what GFX card you are using and the drivers? I have an Nvidia 5600 DirectX 9 card with the latest standard Nvidia drivers as certified by MS.
    If you are using an ATI video card then some users have had issues with the latest catalyst drivers. Searching within this forum on ATI or catalyst will give you more infromation about this and how to cure any problems.

Yes, having a good back up is a great bonus. :D I use Ghost for a weekly image and Acronis for incremental back up.

Pilli

5. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

Just a thought, have you been checking the 'always perform this action' checkbox in the execution protection dialogue box for each program you start? If not then I can see that Execution protection will really annoy you, as you will be prompted to allow a program to run every time you run it.

Tom

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nameless

You said you use learning mode extensively. What do you mean by extensively. I ask because what I've been doing is once I install PG, I literally run every program that I think I might want protected. Once done, I run windows washer(it requires a reboot to finish some cleaning) and reboot. That reboot catches a few things and then I do another reboot and learning mode is off. That only leaves trival thinks like calc and stuff like that for execution protection to pick up. Has worked like a charm for me, and the many installs we've done testing.

Pete

7. nameless

As with both prior versions, it appears I have no choice but to uninstall ProcessGuard. TFN.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Has it happened again ? Can you take some photos if you get anything like this again

9. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:eek: is that same guy that posted same thing awhile back

im writeing you pc dowen and warning all my friends not to buy it if they see it

your the only one i ever seen with that kinda crash

you dont your pc as a server do you/

10. nameless

Gavin - I no longer run PG, so it hasn't happened again.

Mr.Blaze - I can't parse your grammar enough to know with confidence what you're really saying. So let me just say that my system is totally stable under normal circumstances. I do, in fact, run an Apache server on this machine. My down time is nonexistent when not testing new software. I guarantee that my system is more stable than yours.
    EDIT: Unnecessary remark removed - Pilli

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2004
  11. Mr.Blaze

I was just wondering if you were same guy taht posted last time same thing major crash jason had to make new pg so it wouldnt crash on masive dowenloads and excuting massive files.

more stable then mine provably since i super tweaked mine he he

im thinking it a server related thing

server software has pg been teste on servers?

what you upload and dowenload or use your pc for a 24-7 website server?

if i was jason id be asking stuff like what software you useing for your pc as a sever

what is it dowenloading and uploading

is it on 24-7

you know stuff related to servers

12. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Hey Blaze ;) :)

13. Mr.Blaze

HIIIIIIIII RAIN ;)

14. nameless

I have since installed ProcessGuard 3.050 (I'm nothing if not dogged), and so far there have been no problems. Maybe it was some bizarre conflict, maybe it was Look 'n' Stop, maybe it was the moon phase...

15. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Rofl....gotta love those moon phases :D. Glad it is working for you now :).

Regards,
    Jade.

16. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Glad you have it installed now Nameless. :D I blame it on daylight saving :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.