Wi-Fi router security

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Addelam, Nov 8, 2021.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

PS3 untrusted? I never had any concerns with mine. But that's me. I used it to stream media from other devices. It was great until it died with a DVD in it. Not fun getting it put. I would totally put a web enabled TV on guest though.

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@Addelam yes, also remember to assign a different ssid to each band, as @xxJackxx noted. :thumb:

3. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

I fail to see how having different SSIDs would separate the networks, seeing as they both use the same router and interface. Wouldn't it be better to just enable AP isolation?

4. xxJackxx

It depends on what your router supports and how you set it up.

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

My Asus router allows to turn AP isolation on separately for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz SSID's, but afaik if you don't turn it on, devices on one SSID can access devices on the other.

6. xxJackxx

Some routers allow to create separate networks with different SSIDs, some just share the same network. I assume this discussion is more about home networking so I guess I shouldn't complicate it by getting into business equipment that likely has more capabilities than the average home equipment.

7. Addelam

Addelam Registered Member

I think I may use a separate router, as someone suggested above. Takes some of the uncertainties highlighted above right out of the equation.

BTW would it be necessary to be physically near my network in order to hack it, or is it also vulnerable to remote hacking?

8. Addelam

And I was thinking I would surely need my printer to be on the same Wi-Fi network as my PC....right?

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Right. Otherwise connected by Ethernet to your router, or by USB directly to your PC.

10. Addelam

Thankyou.

11. xxJackxx

What specifically? To hack the Wi-Fi they would have to be in range of the Wi-Fi network. If they have a booster their range is greater than yours. If you mean the wired network, that can be hacked from anywhere on earth if you are plugged into the internet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.