Why Win Update via Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I just got two security updates by linking via Nick's update post. I linked in with Firefox.......how was i able to get the updates...in the past MS did not allow that...............at anyrate i checked them out and they are working as they should........i like this !!

2. Rainwalker

Would someone please respond.....

3. dog

dog Guest

Security Patches do not require validation. :) Although it is now possible to validate your XP license through Firefox (provided you installed their Plugin) That doesn't work for the V6 update site, just the 'bonus' features/addons that require validation to DL.

HTH,

Steve

4. Rainwalker

Thanks Steve, it did........do you mean the plugin that allows us to open a Win update site with I.E. ?

TIA

5. dog

dog Guest

No the windows update site requires the use of IE because it relies on the use of activeX controls. The FF plugin only works to confirm the genuine advantage program
    This is required for any value added software they provide - Such as M$ Antispyware ... this is the only type of validation that can be done through Firefox.

As I said above Security Patches, Do not require validation; they are provided for all copies of Windows, only valid licenses can use the M$ update service through IE ... but any security patch can be Downloaded manually.

HTH;

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.