Why use other software than a Security Suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by berryracer, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

True but the client doesn't want a fresh install and they don't have an image. Heck 3/4 don't have adequate AV/security. I do advice them that a good imaging would save a lot of headaches. They normally don't listen. What do I know anyway? I always get the laptop back in a few months. That's ok I can use the money.

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Contrary to what anyone else tells you, you will always be more secure with a layered security environment. I believe the key is finding which ones work well together (don't have compatibility problems), and knowing the weak point of one security product so that you use another product that will cover the other product's weakness. There's just too much malware out there these days for one security product to cover. A traditional antivirus as already mentioned above is the jack of all trades. Some are better than others, but none are master's of every category of malware out there. Some products dedicate all their time to defending against specific types of malware. These are the types of malware most often missed by traditional antivirus. Malwarebytes for example has been much better at detecting rogues than any traditional AV. This is to be expected due to them spending all their time researching these types of malware when a traditional AV has to budget their time researching all types of infections. We are seeing more, and more Antivirus companies merging with antimalware companies in an attempt to bride the gap a bit. It also makes for good business. You can take what I have said above for what it is worth, but I have not been infected with any sort of malware (virus, botnet, trojan, worm, rogue, logger, etc..) in over 12 years. None that have ever been detected anyway. I learned my leason long ago, came up with my own strategy for staying infection free, and keeping my sensitive data safe.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Thats true many dont have adequate security let alone imaging but as you said as long as there willing to pay and the money is coming in is a good thing.:thumb:

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HAHAHAHA that one was good. :D

I wish i asked for money when i fixed my friends and relatives computers. I used to take HOURS AND HOURS and in some cases even a few days to fix a computer, all while i had school, homework and wanted to use the spare time for me!!

Luckily it all ended a few months ago. :D :D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i just cleaned my friends compuiters that has some malware and alot of adware software and toolbars that pc was froze couldnt do any thing but after i went to safe mode with networking and run the legendary malwarebytes pro trial and reboot the pc and i open the browser mbam pop up alot of malware in real time so the real time protection is very good:thumb: quarentine alot of stuff and then run the flashscan and found alot of stuff in memory:)then reboot again and did a quick scan and found 10 more that was when i run the hitman:cool: and found 4 nasty viruses:thumb: :thumb: then reboot and get ccleaner and pcdoctor and clean all the junks:thumb: now it is running well:)

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

yeah I don't charge my family or friends. I'm not that much of a jerk. I do have a side job that gets referrals from friends. I do charge them. I'm nice but not that nice. :p

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha but my friends started taking advantage of me :D
    They would just use the crap out of their computers and when it got infected then they would call me o_O

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I found something that might interest you as far as explaining what some of these terms mean. http://www.raymond.cc/blog/understanding-different-types-of-malware/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.