Why use an ISP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jake4487, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake4487

Jake4487 Guest

Why do we need an ISP? Is it really just another way to charge us money? Is there a way to create a program that would allow you to go on the internet without an ISP? Any other ideas/thoughts on how to get online without an ISP would be welcome.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, someone has to provide you with both the physical connectivity and then all related Internet services necessary to transact on the web. An ISP provides the connectivity through services like dialup, DSL, cable or some other possible network circuit options. So the first cost they need to recover is the providing of that physical connection (hardware, connect time usage, support & maintenance, and probably other things I'm not thinking about).

After connectivity itself comes the various services that are required to make web access work. They start by assigning you an IP address that you have to have to do anything in this environment. Their equipment handles moving your data packets (everything you do) out from your system and back from whatever site or service you are using. (There are machines and provisioning related to this whole process, as well.) And further beyond that are end user services like email, web space and such. It all costs money and the most efficient way to provide and manage it all is via commercial Internet Service Providers. If they are big enough and efficient enough they should be able to provide fairly low cost options to large numbers of people.

So my answer would be, no. There is no program or way to get "free" Internet access, well unless of course you steal service from someone else, but we won't go there.

3. jake4487

jake4487 Guest

Thanks LowWaterMark for the indepth answer. I had no idea it was such an involved and complex procedure to access the net.

I guess my original idea was that, i thought, it would be nice to be able to access the net from your own computer without the ISP being involved. Also the increased privacy it would provide, would be great. At least i think it would increase your privacy.

Perhaps someday we'll have such a system, that will allow each person to simply connect your computer to a phone plug,(or cable, wireless ect..) and 'poof' your online. I believe it could be possible, someday. We just need to find the genius(es) to figure it all out.

Oh, and in no way was i suggesting anything illegal in any way by my post, just wondering about ways to access the net, that's all. Thanks again.

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

You can always form your own ISP, but you'll still need an ISP unfortunately. Yes, even ven ISPs have ISPs,

They too have to get access from somewhere. The major players that own the big backbones joining the world together spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build this stuff and they aren't keen on giving it away from free :(

When plugging in that wire to "poof, be online", where is the other end of the wire? Who owns it?

So alas we pay :doubt:

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Basically, it's mission impossible to connect to the internet without an ISP. You MUST have an ISP to connect to the internet.
    You have to pay your ISP because they are offering their services to you. There's no such thing as a FREE ISP service.

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

in fact there are some free ISPs. they'll provide you free Internet connection. but the attached string says you'll have to use there browser and it shows advertisements. why there is no such things as free lunch?

7. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Exactly. They may offer you the connection for free, but then you'll have to use their so-called "Internet accelerators" and stuff and will eventually get overcharged phone bills, because each session costs almost as much as an international call (they have to gain something, don't they)... :rolleyes:

BS

8. goatsnif

goatsnif Registered Member

while i have read something about the "not-so-distant future" when net access is available through any common electric outlet , i find that idea a little dubious.
    those who have invested their recources in making an internet have done so for really 1 reason: to make a profit.
    the technology exists at present , im sure , but ...
    i personally believe that the internet is such a powerful tool that it can almost be considered the next step in human evolution like harnessing the power of the atom. (im still a little amazed that i can communicate , instantly with someone any where on the globe) the mass of collective computers connected could easily compile the sum of all human knowledge and a good chunk of our collective experiences, wich is the best argument for making it readily available to the global populace.
    maybe someday ...

9. jake4487

jake4487 Guest

Yes i have heard of BPL (Broadband over Power Lines), but there seems to be many problems with it, and i doubt it will go thru in the US. But who knows the government may still push it thru. They sure are trying to. Even ignoring the warnings of the FCC.

Just imagine if BPL was in every home with electrical power, manufacturers would begin implementing their devices with internet access. This has already been discussed by many top manufacturers, if BPL goes thru.

Would you consider it an invasion of your privacy if your refrigerator began reporting to the manufacturer what you were buying and storing in it? And that's just the beginning if BPL goes thru.

Can you imagine every power outlet in your home possibly being able to be used to spy on you? Just plug it in and your online,true. But any device that plugs into the power outlets could be used to report its usage to the manufacturer, but what else could be reported? And who would be able to obtain this data?

Yes, i would love for the internet to be freely available to all. As a matter of fact i think it should be. But at what cost? Is losing your privacy a fair price? I don't think so, but then i don't run the world, and big business/brother does. So if BPL goes thru, we're all probably just sh** out of luck.

10. 666

666 Guest

Plenty of free ISPs here in NL.

You don't need their software, browsers, see their ads. Just dial in to their server (same rate as a local call) and you're online. Most of 'em give you free webspace, email (web ad pop3) etc.

They make money because the phone companies pay them for the traffic they generate. It's only a tenth of a cent per minute or so, but that's enough for them to stay in business.

Only works for dialup. I'm still waiting for free DSL...

11. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

the next time you have to buy a firewall just to make "secure" toast, you'll dream of a simpler time ;) Imagine getting hacked at night and wake up with a warm fridge!

Java was originally designed for appliance communication. it was stupid then and its stupid now.

12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Getting back to the original topic of do-it-yourself ISP-ing (sorry, crew ;) ...

Even if you had the resources (both technical and financial) to set up your own servers and keep them running smoothly, did you plan on also being your own help-desk? Sure, depending on the ISP they can range from terrible to excellent (mine's the latter), but unless it's an extremely tiny operation they're not distracted by also dealing with their own technical problems, sales, accounting, etc.

And I don't care how skilled and knowledgable you are -- I'm sure even folks like Javacool and Paul have to yell for outside help once in a while.

So I'll happily pay my $17 (Cdn) a month for my top notch dialup -- and their DSL, whenever I can afford the new modem, is only $10 more.

13. jake4487

jake4487 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.