Why such fervour?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by steve1955, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Can somebody please explain why when anybody criticises some AV's it causes a reaction amongst some users similar to one I would expect if a member of their family/favourite soccer team had been criticised?
    Av's are after all just "tools",relatively cheap ones at that,used to keep our PCs clean/safe.
    I can understand people being fans of certain AVs but I would have thought "warranted" criticism is in everybodies interest if it leads to developers improving their products,if we keep defending products"no matter what" things wont improve

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No problem there, it's just been that in the past some folks have taken to personal attacks against individuals because they were not using the AV that they KNEW for a fact was the best product on planet Earth. I must admit thought, that I haven't seen those kind of attacks recently. :)

Acadia

(I never understood getting upset over sports, it's just a stupid game, and there are much more important things in life ... like anti-virus :D )

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I presume you are refering to NOD and KAV, for whatever reason NOD and KAV users seem to love their AV, and feel it is the best in the world and all AV's should mimic their choice of PERFECT. But you are right Steve, people need to realize that an AV is a tool, people have differnet needs/likes/dislikes and that is one of the reasons we have NOD,KAV,Panda,Trend Micro and so forth. Just in like in cars, should we all drive Fords? I think not. People need to buy an AV that suits their needs and works for their system. Just try not to take it so pesronally, some people are beyond help. Acadia is right it hasn't been to bad here recently, but then nobody has started a NOD vs. KAV thread, or said anything to light the fire.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But in the end majority of us have the same opinion about lets say Norton.
    And on the other hand we all agree that Kaspersky is a very powerful AV.
    But look at me,i don't use eather of these two,but avast!,because of its small and fast updates,simplicity,nice and logical interface and free and reliable tech support. Others prefer just pure detection and they don't care about GUI cosmetics or tech support,or how much memory does it use. Others don't like Norton or McAfee because of ActiveX interface and so on...
    There is so many cons and pros for each and every AV thats really hard to say this is it,unless you actually test it by yourself.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Amen. :cool: (Although there will always be those that feel THEIR antivirus is all pros and no cons, oh well ...) :p

Acadia

6. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

7. steve1955

I may have been referring to them,but I dont want to confirm this in case I invoke the same kind of response like I was originally referring to!
    Steve
    PS I use both these products but can't seem to get that excited about either of them,perhaps there's something wrong with me!

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

NAV is the best most powerful anti-virus on the planet!

:D KIDDING :D

:D JUST KIDDING :D

:D Really. It was only a joke. :D

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well Steve1955,

I guess I have the same experience, installed AV's, and basically the same thoughts. I have no idea where the strident evangelism comes from. It's good to be passionate about things you care about - be that politics, sports, or AV's. It's also important to understand there's more than one path in all of those areas, and if my path if different from yours, that doesn't necessarily equate to wrong, only... different.

Blue

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You know, I have never understood it myself even though I've seen it time and time again, and not just here but at a lot of forums. Frankly, I could care less about AV software (or AT or FW...). I've got the ones I use and I've got my system to where it is stable and functional, and that's all I care about.

I swear these arguments often reach the extremes that debates over politics and religion insight. It's only computer software, and in the grand scheme it is rather unimportant. :doubt:

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well,what we see here regarding antiviruses is nothing compared to wars between ATi and NVIDIA graphics users. If someone gave them guns they'd kill eachother,thats for sure. I belive this is in a human nature to support something that you use and that you belive is good.
    I admit,even i feel that way sometimes :)

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've seen parents at high school football games get into fist fights! Explain that! :rolleyes:

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Remember a year or two ago that one father KILLED another father at a Little League baseball game.

Acadia

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

We only need to see what the others say, give our opinion and experience, and learn together...

15. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

That's about right. That debate is only rivaled by the AMD/Intel & Kerry/Bush(here in the USA) debates. I'd be sure to dress in Kevlar if these people carried guns...

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Ah, remember the PC vrs. Mac wars? :D

17. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

Oh, come on, it is the world's most trusted antivirus solution. :p

Guess Norton needs to define what "trusted" means

18. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Agreed, Why can't we all just get along?

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

As I see it, I think people have personal investments in their AV tool and they want it to be the best that it can be. It makes sense that a AV can only get better - or even survive - if its user base is growing. I have seen many good products die because of lack of user base. So, it is not unreasonable for users to want other users to "buy into" their product. A larger user base does increase overall "comfort level". Perfectally natural I think - though overdoing it can be counterproductive.

Rich

20. steve1955

We've all seen the opposite happen where products with a very large user base dont improve because of complacency brought about because of the size(monopoly!M-----sft) of the user base.If products are defended,by users,against any form of criticism then ,I feel,the same sort of complacency could set in and vendors wont/dont have to take notice of criticism levelled at their products

21. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes Steve. This is what I mean by overdoing it. If a person recommends a product that is not improving or has serious problems, then vendors become complacent. Honest assessments of good products are good very everyone.

Rich

22. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek:

Some know that I have had my say in the past couple of months.

I just don't like to see individuals following blindly.

Some products are better than others.

If one wishes to claim this or that one is better, please tell us uniniated why in tearms we can understand. Remember we are not all computer experts.

After that, we should all be able to make our own minds up as to which one works the best for us.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :doubt: :p

23. browserwars

browserwars Guest

Browser wars nuff said.

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

This creature of the Wild got it right. We are a knowledge pool. Together we are strong. Seperately we are weaker because no one has lived all experiences. No one is master of all. Everyone specializes in an experience or knowlwdge. Even those who are not computer savy they maybe older. Even they have the experience of life...making a good judgement call, thinking before clicking download. Even trial and error ultimatlely leading to success most of the time can be shared to assist others.

We are human beings who have strong feelings and beliefs about certain issues (products, teams etc.) It is only when we allow those emotions to drive us to get personal (attacks). I know it seems to be off topic but it goes to the heart of the question. It is a very good question too.

Creature Bigc always says his opinion. But follows it with an offer of advice that it may not suit this particular users needs and that user may wish to seek an alternative product or listen to more advice before making the choice. This is just another example of someone Mercurie feels gets it right! There are others too. These just come to mind. :)

25. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Ardent proponents of any product or idea attract ardent opponents. Each side is blind to the other and only seeks evidence in support of its position.

Me? I am reasonable and open-minded; anyone who disagrees should be shot. :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.