Why should I purchase NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Slovak, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougWeller

DougWeller Registered Member

What tweaks are needed?

Thanks.

Doug

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Pssst info in there is FUD. FUD is a less than subtle marketing tactic used to help fortify your position in the market by creating perception gaps.

Take everything with a grain of salt rather than seeing it as the gospel, also have to remember the source.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You speak the truth for sure! Check your sources. Here as well as elsewhere.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

5. DougWeller

DougWeller Registered Member

Thanks

Doug

6. Blackspear

My pleasure Doug, anytime, You can also set up Nod to make a automatic weekly or daily scan, see this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=33275 and from post number 18 onwards... And post number 46 in the same thread for a maximum strength command line scan...

Cheers :D

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I don't think you should purchase NOD32. Their support is less than stelllar, I had a what I think was a false postive back on 5/26/04 and submitted the file to NOD32. Two days later I got a request for another file from my hard drive which I didn't have so I wrote back saying the file wasn't on my system. About 10 days later i received a support survey asking how my experience with Eset support was, I explained that I wasn't happy as I still had not received a response if the file was infected or it was a false positive. I have not received a response from that email either. I have since removed NOD from my system and returned to Panda. I would say ESET is not quite ready to play with the Big Boys. Everyone here and in the company seems to think NOD is the be all and end all of AV solutions and can't stand the suggestion that another product is better or even equal to NOD. I think this cult-like mentality keeps a good product from getting better. They always point to their VB success and say "We have never had a false positive in their tests" and "ESET is the Best", well look at the results folks, $ymantec is only one or two awards away and KAV one or two behind as well. VB is but one test and certainly not the real world. West Coast Lab's ONLY certifies NOD for Windows 2003 server, and the AV-comparatives tests have already been mentioned in this thread. WAKE UP Eset and start accepting some negative criticism, for more growth comes from an honest assessment of your shortcomings then from the "VB says were are the best and that's that mentality."

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Personally, I don't know about other AV company of which technical support works as a bee at the midnight from home in their spare time. We have our distributors providing local support all around the world, plus 2 main centrals, one in Slovakia, and another one in the USA so there should not be long delays in responding. In one of the previous threads I have already mentioned several reasons why users may not get a response (e.g. use of spam words, infected files attached, incorrect email address provided in the request, spam filters on the user's side, etc.)

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

It's downright amazing that you've formed that opinion in such a short time with this forum (2 posts to date)! That is - unless your really a previous long-time member with an hidden agenda that prefers to also hide his identity (although I can understand why). :rolleyes:

I've contacted Eset twice and received prompt responses each time. So IMO your just plain wrong.

10. flyrfan111

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. flyrfan111

Yes, Marcos did respond. And his reasons why I may not have received an answer to any of my attempts to contact support, seemed logical to me. I would've said so sooner, had I not been slammed so quickly. But offering assistance might have been more helpful. He states "I don't know about other AV company of which technical support works as a bee at the midnight." But off the top of my head I can tell you that Norton, Panda, Kaspersky, & Trend Micro all have 24 hour support; I'm sure there are others. But I guess it was more important to slam me than help me. Thanks, Moderator Marcos...And thank you too, Senior Member Ronjor. I'll state it again, for those who missed it the other two times I said it: IT IS A GOOD PRODUCT...BUT IT CAN BE BETTER. All they have to do is respond to negative critism by addressing the problem. All of you wanting to slam anyone who questions any faults in the system (& they ALL have faults), might better serve your beloved NOD, by getting the powers that be to fix any problems (the purpose of this forum), so your claims of the greatness of NOD can become fact.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This NOD support forum is attacked constantly by people with their own agendas. Sometimes just to criticize the smallest detail. Yet time after time, I see people try to help them here.
    As far as greatness, NOD is great on my machine. No more, no less.

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, flyrfan111

Where did I put that clock Key.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: your first post had seven answers and you never went to say thanks and close the thread.

15. flyrfan111

There we go again with the suggestion I have a hidden agenda. Sounds alot like the policies of the Bush White House. "Throw dirt on those who question us!" This thread was started by Slovak asking why he should buy NOD32. I responded with my own experience with the product's support staff, which was less than stellar and I might add STILL UNRESOLVED for going on 26 days. I also stated that NOD is a good product which could be made better. How this got convuluted into my having a hidden agenda and suggestions of NOD bashing is beyond me. If you would have read between the lines you would have gotten the following: I used NOD32, I had an issue that was ignored, I went to another AV provider, had Eset responded with a solution (or even a "We don't know" would have been nice) I would still be using the product. The reason I left NOD was the lack of a response, not why there was a false positive. My reasoning was, if they don't answer for this, what if I have a REAL virus that is damaging my system. To me, they displayed the attitude that I could not count on product support. However this attitude of suggesting everyone who doesn't sing the high praises of NOD has an agenda is really mindboggling and makes me glad I no longer use NOD. My only agenda was relaying my experience to someone who asked why he/she should buy the product.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Gentlemen I for the life of me can not figure out why anytime a thread is started with the name nod in it for some reason it has got to turn into a war of words. So before this post gets into one of those do you think we might calm down a little and stay on topic.

thanks
    bigc

17. flyrfan111

I didn't think I was the problem, merely defending myself, but I am sorry if I offended, just giving my opinion on the title of the thread or trying to anyway.

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

BigC hasn't said you were the problem or that anyone else in particular is. The problem is the general turn of the thread off-topic and the personally directed arguments developing.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'll add my answer to "Why should I purchase NOD" to keep on topic.
    I have never had a problem with support. It keeps me virus free. It is the smoothest running antivirus I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. It conflicts with virtually no programs that I use.

I have a license through 2006 because I think NOD is an innovative program that looks to the future.

20. flyrfan111

closing that thread isnt an option, I guess maybe because I started it as a guest, not as a member. Thanks to all who answered though

21. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, flyrfan111

Sorry did not mean close it, but just acknowledge the people who answered.

As so many people come and get help on something and do not say if it helped and if it fixed their problem.

So the next time someone come with th same problem, there is no reference
    to search for to give a quick answer. [it you understand me?]

Thanks for your time,
    Take care,
    TheQuest :cool:

22. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

I use several different antiviruses/anti trojans etc

As a keen malware fighter, many people send me samples of malwares to look at and see why their computer isn't working well.

I use NOD as my main antivirus, KAv as a back up scanner and AVG as a 3rd back up

No NOD doesn't always find everything, nor do the others, but NOD works well as a first line of defence, normally it flags suspicious files in emails and when it doesn't thenany attachmnet is treated very cautiously.

My experience with NOD has be on the whole good, with many samples that I have submitted being included in rapidly issued updates.
    Some samples that other AV's have Identified haven't been so quickly included, but every AV vendor decides what in "HIS" view is the risk to "HIS" user base, and NO av will ever find & detect all possible viruses etc.

Nod works well on my machine, I also like KAV, but only as an on demand scanner not as a resident protection because KAV slows down the computer too much to work efficiently.

I would like to see what malware was detected by the tests being mentioned and what was missed. Without that info it's difficult to know from the results whether any particular AV is the right one for you

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I run the opposite way, but may switch if some of the performance issues on the version 5.0 offering of KAV aren't fully addressed. I have a 2.8 GHz P4 with 768 MB RAM. That's not a light PC and I can see some performance drain. I don't do gaming (my sons do on their PC's), but I do some intensive numerics, and really don't want to suffer any significant performance drain.

But to the main question - Why should I purchase NOD32? Well, I go back to the time when I disabled my AV (not KAV, but another major one out there) on a previous PC simply because I had not experienced an infection in a few years and the performance and stability of the PC was so bad that I found I wasn't able to work on it effectively. It took a few months, but I was infected by an e-mail borne virus - so much for the preview panel. I had to wipe that PC clean to get it working again. I now know enough that I could probably use less draconian measures if this reoccurred, but the lesson remains the same - a resource heavy AV caused me to disable functionality to get acceptable machine performance and I suffered in the end.

I still think that of the light footprint AV offerings available, NOD32 is an example of best-in-class. If you have an older PC or run very CPU intensive applications, NOD32 is an excellent choice. There are a couple of other solid ones out there also, not unlike AV's as a whole.

Also, while it is possible to tweak various programs to yield reasonable performance on almost any platform, you do have to look at the compromises in functionality that occur to accomplish this. If "resource light" is an absolute requirement, my belief is to go with a solution where this is an intrinsic design objective rather than disable functionality of a heavier competitor.

As to support - I've gone through the support organizations of Symantec, Kaspersky, and Eset. All have had good days for me, all have had bad days. All are satisfactory. As a reseller of one of those AV's has noted in an e-mail to me after a "bad day", "Our experience has been that they answer the easy questions quickly, while the more difficult issues may require several days. Unfortunately, the support people are remiss about apprising customers that their inquiry remains under investigation." You should never judge the support organization on a single service instance - good or bad. The e-mail response was in connection to a complicated issue. Another "bad day" experience was tied to a major fraction of the support organization being tied up at a trade show. In isolation, any of these support incidents could be viewed as the standard level of support provided by the vendor, but they're not. In the vast majority of cases, Eset support is timely, professional, and they generally do keep working the problem until it is solved. As with any AV, the vendor makes design choices that at times infuriate or exasperate the users. Paging through the threads related to NOD32 demonstrate this. If you visit the KAV forum over at Ice Systems, an analogous series of threads are now playing out in relation to a number of decisions that KL made in implementing version 5.0. In almost all cases, these choices do not impact the basic functionality of the program, though in some cases they do. In any case, you need to assess the entire package to really determine whether those deficiencies are sufficient to compromise the utility of the AV for your needs.

All AV vendors make design choices in creating their product. Depending on your situation, hardware platform and mix of software, and Internet surfing habits, some of these choices may be exactly the mix required for you, some may yield unintended consequences. The best way to figure out where a given product stands is, as always, to test it out in the field using the live 30 trials and see how it functions in your hands

Blue

24. Blackspear

Nice post Blue, well said :D

Cheers :D

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

First off ...trials are not always 30 days. The KAV trial said on the website "30 days" but my download says the trial is only 15 days. TrendMicro has no trial. well, they have one but it is cripple ware so it is worthless and cannot be used. NOD32 has a full 30 day trial with proper updates of definitions during the trial.

As for design choices...well isn't the design and tech support the main issues when choosing an av? It is for me. The KAV design for 5.0 is absolutely ludicrous on many fronts. It is the worst design I have ever seen for an av. It is extremely dogmatic to the point that I can't understand how the designers could have thought anyone, even a newbie, would like it. When I was a newbie, I had McAfee 4.2 which came on my computer and I had to learn a lot of confusing stuff. If I could, anyone can and no one wants to have their av rammed down their throats which is what KAV 5.0 and Panda Titanium and some others do.

"In almost all cases, these choices do not impact the basic functionality of the program, though in some cases they do. In any case, you need to assess the entire package to really determine whether those deficiencies are sufficient to compromise the utility of the AV for your needs."

Well every choice that KAV made for 5.0 directly affects the basic functionality of the program and the deficiencies are so severe I would never recommend it to anyone. I keep reading their help file and am continually stunned at their arrogance. I will never again believe anything I read by anyone saying Anti virus A is great or Anti virus B is super because no one could possibly praise KAV 5.0 and yet some do. The same can be said for Panda.

As for tech support, the best is free phone support which Rod gives for NOD32 in Australia and which, knowing Rod, I am certain is outstanding (and how I wish I lived in Australia) and which Trend Micro gives in the USA with USA citizens as support engineers and theirs is outstanding also. The quality of tech support is of great importance and if you can find an av that combines excellent design and excellent tech support that is the av you should choose and forget all about who won how many awards from VB or who scored the best in virus test ABC, etc. Consistency in the quality of tech support is very important. I don't think one should make excuses and say that if the problem is small the tech support can be slow, lousy, non-existent and that is ok. The quality of the support board, if there is one, is also important.

So to the question why should I buy NOD32? If the design is what you want and the support is excellent then you should purchase it. If either of these is not so then look elsewhere...unless NOD32 is the lesser of all evils then by default it is the one you purchase. :) I suspect the latter is the case for many. And that is a shame since an av is the most important software we purchase outside of our OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.