why should anyone buy nod32???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by adiel, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adiel

adiel Registered Member

Judgine by the AV Tests in last 4,5 months,everyone can clearly see that all big AV companies have realized the need of trojan detection and they have included this feature,KAV,Mcafee,F-Secure,RAV.

But when it comes to nod32,one should think,that since it is not so good at detecting trojans,and as said by sarcasm removed -Forum Admin"rodzilla",that "nod32 is not an anti trojan",why should we buy this one??

I mean if you buy Nod32(39$),then you MUST have a decent anti trojan too.A good AT like TDS cost you 49$,you would get a cheaper one at around 30$??

So that makes 69$.
    why don't then we buy a good product like KAV(49$),Mcafee(49$),F-secure(53$) or RAV(29$),that are capable of detecting much more than Nod32 including all trojanso_O

what i am trying to say is that instead of realizing the need for a decent trojan detection feature,esest is insulting remark removed -Forum Admin people,they say they are the best.But i don't think so that this product should be called great,when its not a "complete" defense against all malwares.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Come on, Adiel! ;)

NOD never claimed to be a fine AT. TDS doesn't claim to catch viruses, either!

Frankly, I wouldn't trust any av by itself to catch all bugs.

Would you rather have an AV out there as "lone ranger" that is very good to excellent at catching viruses, and average to very good at catching trojans,

or

an AV that is excellent/the best at catching viruses, in addition to an AT that is excellent/the best at hammering trojans?

Where has NOD32 claimed to be "the best" at being a combo AV/AT?

Have I missed something? ;)

3. root

root Registered Member

It's a matter of choice adiel. I don't use it, but it also doesn't bother me that others do.
    I use either KAV or DrWeb right now, but I also use TDS3. I have a firewall and I back it up with SSM.
    I have layered protection my way, not necessarily the way others see it, but that's not an issue.
    A product is the way it is because the authors want it that way. If you don't like the design, don't buy it.
    I think the important thing is that people have enough knowledge to make informed decisions. I think by now, most people that buy NOD32 know they are not getting a lot of trojan protections, and if that's ok with them, I'm not going to criticise either NOD or the people that use it.
    I can say why do people buy this or that because I don't understand the reasoning behind it, and in fact I have done that before. But I am learning that it is a waste of my time worrying about why people do not make the same choices I do. People are different and want different things. What I try to do now is when I see a person making an obvious mistake (to me) about something, I try to explain to them why I think it might be a mistake. If I have facts to back up my statements, then sometimes people listen and rethink their decision.
    In the end, there are always lots of people around making decisions I do not understand and I do not agree with, but then, that's why people are different. :)

4. xor

xor Guest

Adiel, Rodzilla may some times let's call it "overreacting" but this is no wonder by such offensive posts.

The last trouble with this GEGA Thread is just gone and now you starting here a new thread with the subject almost equ (This is a assembler command, i dont know the full english word, but i know this command stands for it) to "Don't buy NOD - it's crap".

What do you expecting with such posts ? A constructive discussion ?
    Sorry, but then you should write such Questions "with other words" and without direct private adressed offense.

Michael

5. Adiel. Why should anyone waste their time writing these infamatory posts?

I mean, c'mon man.. What's your beef? I know you hate NOD32, that's evident...

Some people like to have a dedicated AV that has won 21 VB awards... I also use a Trojan detector and GAV on two other computers... I spend my money the way I want to spend it..

I'll decide for myself if NOD32 is for me or not... Yeah, McAfee, which I also own, is good.. but different people like handling a situation differently...

Besides, even with programs like McAfee, which have great trojan protection, I still use an AT.. I like the layered protection LOL, and TH can do some extra things McAfee can't., but I ain't gonna bother finishing this up...

Are you trying to get us not to buy NOD32? On it's own forum?? ROFL!

6. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

As Paul have said before.
    quote. never put all your eggs in the same basket. ;)
    Regards
    Ole

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Exactly. For a really powerful and layered approach to malware protection, you can buy both a top AV (like NOD32, or another top performer) and a top AT (TDS-3, TH or BOClean) and consider yourself well protected.

If it is simply an economic ($) question, and you want to only buy one product that can do pretty well for you on its own, then there is always something like KAV Lite... But again, any single product might let you down under some circumstances.

You may find either of these approaches acceptable to you, depending upon your personal needs, finances and overall computing habits. It may be a question of risk management - knowing the risks, and figuring out what avoiding those risks is worth to you.

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Because NOD32 is great AntiVirus program! That's why! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Technodrome

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

All that needed to be said has been said. No way we are going to allow just another thread turning into some kind of flame war, or taking that risk.

For that reason: thread closed.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.