Why Pick Other Firewalls Over Comodo Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Stem! How have you been. I knew I could count on you for help. (As always) So I should just make a rule to block this and I won't get anymore alerts is this correct? Hey I also want to tell you that I have been posting in the Kaspersky Forums about my BSOD with AOL AVS and SKPF and told them about your explaination for it. I think they belieive me, but someone did tell me that it could be from installing and uninstalling software so much as well. Now this is true I have done way to much of this, but I think my PC is fine, (I hope) and have settled on using, obviously with my question, Comodo Firewall for good. It is truly a great Firewall. The only thing left is to settle on an Antivirus. I am currently either going to keep using AVG Free with it, or switch to Antivir after they fix a recent problem with the Guard statis not showing on every account on PC's with more than one user. (It happened to me after the big update last week as well) Anyway, I wonder since AOL AVS didn't seem to cause a BSOD with Comodo if this is because it is a superior Firewall in how it loads ect...? All right I have abused your kindness enough today, and I hope you get back to me about all this. Take care Sir.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This should be o.k., if the application cannot "listen" on port, then any inbound connection to that app/port should be dropped.
    This could be put down as a possiblity, but my test PC had a clean OS install,... and the results where the same as yours. (so this problem is not related to your PC)
    I personally would, between these 2, use AntiVir
    No, the problems are driver related (this problem also exists with OP and other firewalls,.. a patch was released to try to solve the problem)

____
    Stem

3. duke1959

Will use Antivir Stem. Although it does have a problem with the Guard statis not showing properly on more than one user accounts since last weeks update. You can check it out in the Antivir Forums. I think I know how to make the rule for the netbios thing. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, and I have learned my lesson. It will be Antivir, and Comodo Firewall for me from now on, and no more new stuff. (Well maybe Comodo's Antivirus some day when it improves) LOL. Stem, I truly would like to thank you once again for all your help. I don't know where you're from, what you do for a living, wether your married or single, or even how old you are, but I do believe your a good person, and that's enough for me. Take care, and even though I'm done with new stuff, I will seek you out if and when I have aquestion on the old stuff (CPF, Antivir) LOL. Take care.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This remember was my choice from the 2 you posted,... if you have no problem with Comodo+AOL AVS, then why not use this combo (I know you like AOL AVS)

5. duke1959

Someone told me that the way AVS scans in realtime can perhaps cause more of a slow down on your PC than the way Antivir does. Also other than the problem with the Guard statis I mentioned, the latest update is said to have made Antivir use much less RAM than before, and this can't be a bad thing. You take care for now, and I'll talk to you soon.

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I increased the memory on my computer to 1.5 GB, and Comodo seems to run better. But I have a question about server access: some apps need it to run. Does the network rule blocking IP IN/OUT make server access ok?

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Does anyone have advice about Comodo server access?

8. ubuntu

ubuntu Registered Member

Hi

if you use default network rule, and whatever you set in application monitor, the inbound TCP/UDP traffic will be blocked.

if you add network rules to allow TCP/UDP specific port traffic . like eMule TCP 4662. if eMule hadn't run, TCP 4662 would be blocked by CPF.

Regards

9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

So you don't have to create an application rule blocking inbound, as long as the default network rule is on?

10. ubuntu

ubuntu Registered Member

Yes, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.