Why no bootdisk support and why no DOS Version with NOD32V2??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by iNsuRRecTioN, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hi there,

my question is, why there are no support for an BootDisk or CD, that can scan your PC even, when you cannot load your OS, because of an Virus or so!

There are many ways to do this, like: a NOD32V2 BootCD with a Windows PE Version..(like: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ on www.nu2.nu, currently down, but watch it..), or NOD32V2 BootCD with an special linux version with ntfs support, like it AVK2004 from www.gdata.de does..
    But a min. BootDisk with NOD32 for DOS or so, also missing!

Like the description site for NOD32 for DOS at: http://www.nod32.com/products/dos.htm says: "Software for MS-DOS compatible PCs. With NOD32 for MS-DOS you can remove even those worms and viruses, which cannot be dealt with in the Microsoft Windows environment due their hard-to-kill nature."
    -->Also, why no bootdisk? o_O

And also missing NOD32V2 for DOS!

Please develop a BootDisk or BootCD creator tool for NOD32V2 that create a bootdisk or cd with the same new features in NOD32V2 for Windows.

thx

bye

iNsuRRecTioN

2. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

This could be interesting.

I would like to ask some questions:

Do we that have bought NOD32 V2 for XP for example have access to NOD32 for DOS? Is this included in the licence?

Is NOD32 DOS updated when you download it? How can we update it? I could ot find documentation about this special version.

I own a licence for NOD32 V2 for Windows XP. Can I still use my Login for downloading and updating for example the Windows ME version? I have a laptop with Windows ME and will be traveling 4 months with it, I would like to install NOD32 there while I am not home.

Thanks for the help

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi Thorz,

Until an Eset guy/gal stops by...

The answer to your first question is yes.

You can hit the Eset website to d/l it. It is updated daily, AFAIK.

That would probably require a separate license.

4. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

There is only one licence for "All MS platforms"... It includes: DOS, WINDOWS 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / XP / 2003

http://www.nod32.com/purchase/purchase.htm
    http://www.eset.sk/purchase/purchase.htm

5. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

An alternative mentioned by Paul Wilders in a recent thread is AVDisk, a generic rescue disk program that is intended to support several AV programs, including NOD32:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=19017

I tried to to get it to work to no avail. The first thing it does is scan your PC for
    supported AV software. It failed to find NOD32 v2 during the scan, and I thought it might be because I have NOD32 installed in a "non-default" folder. So, I tried the option of manually typing in the DOS path (as requested by AVDisk) and it says no supported program exists in path. I tested the path at the DOS prompt to make sure I had it right and the path worked there.

So, my conclusion (after minimal waste of time) is that AVDisk does not work with NOD32 v2. Maybe it was intended for v1.

If anybody else can get it to work, it might be a pretty good alternative. Sory if it ends up being a waste of time like it was for me.

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, NewNod. I'm pretty sure though either Deniz Oezman or Frederic Bonroy (from AVDisk) would at least try to help you out.

regards.

paul

7. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Thanks, Paul.

I think I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while first to see what others have to say (if anything).

Like I said, AVDisk seems like a good idea. So, again thanks for the link.

8. Paul Wilders

My pleasure, NewNod.

And Deniz has been always open for discussion in regard to AVDisk - just in case ;)

regards.

paul

9. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

This may be another option:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

10. Paul Wilders

That's a very heavy gun you are referring to, rumpstah ;)

regards.

paul

11. NewNOD

NewNOD Guest

Rumpstah wrote:
    Paul Wilders wrote:
    Very heavy and very nice. If that thing works as advertised, it's got a ton of uses beyond the scope of this thread.

12. Paul Wilders

NewNod,

I totally agree - and it does work according to several people who actually did give it a go ;) Dutch - can't be all that bad :D

regards.

paul

13. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

That PEBuilder looks very interesting. And there are other neat things in that website. And the thing is freeware as I could read there. Thanks a lot. But I agree that it is a little overkill for what we are speaking in this thread. I am interested in a DOS disc that can clean a PC totally screwed up if needed. It doesn't matter if the thing must fit 2 disc then. I can try NOD32 DOS on 2 discs if it doesn't fit one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.