Why Need to Jump Through Hoops To Add Exception ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Temp Member, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

What is the point of this option if its greyed out even after a scan ?

ESS keeps quarantining this NO-DVD patch even though I have submitted it as a False Positive a week ago !

I know I can go in advanced settings and add this file to exceptions but it takes adding it to 2 separate sections of the AV Engine and at the end of the day I SHOULD not need to do all that especially as a null and void setting already is added to GUI which I would assume was to work.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9539/unthhhhitled.jpg

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Good question, I just quarantined a file and can confirm that the option to Restore and exclude is grayed out.
    Fortunately for me, when I jump through hoops, my owner gives me a fish.

3. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi,

Look at the program's help, "Restoring from Quarantine" topic:

"The Restore and exclude from scanning context-menu option serves for excluding the reported threat from being detected on the file. The file itself will be restored to its original location. It is important to realize that the file will only be no longer detected as that specific threat, but it will not be excluded from detection as such. Therefore if that file becomes infected later with other malware, it will be detected by the antivirus module. This type of exclusion can be used only for certain types of infiltrations."

I can confirm this works for only certain malware types (e.g. those detected as potentially unwanted apps), not all.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2e2jthl.png

4. Temp Member

I did read that and Googled many more results but it makes the setting totally pointless and makes adding a exception still a lot of work where its a basic function on other AV Apps !

5. Temp Member

Still getting this removed by ESS as no update DEF stops it even after sending for inspection twice !

Added to fact not 1 ESS helper has gave any input here where as it its run of the mile questions that get asked and answered 100x they are quick to !

Support of ESET directly and forum both sucks TBH.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Not sure what is being detected as the full path as well as the detection name are not shown on your screenshot. If you suspect it to be a false positive, did you submit the file to ESET per the instructions here?

7. Temp Member

Above screenie was only to show "Greyed Out" menu option not to show any particular files name or full directory !

I submitted the file twice using the built in tool in ESS not the way you have just shown to me (new to me).

ESS has also now decided to blacklist the URL for my legit paid for "Your Uninstaller" for its updates through the GUI (can grab full new build visiting site though) !

http://www.ursoftware.com/

Typo fixed !

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I just visited that web site on a computer running ESET Smart Security v4.2.67.10 with virus signature database 5693 and was able to see both the web site and download the file yusetup2010.exe (MD5 hash: 615FB367589384120EDB8DA7FB40A62E) without issue.

Can you provide more detail about what you are experiencing?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. Temp Member

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's virus lab has been notified. Thank you for your report.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The vendor has submitted the file. Detection will remain as the small application performs simple malware-like actions. We advised them how to remedy this.

12. Temp Member

That's not much good as it was fine till a recent ESS update and I have used that software for years !

Hopefully the vendor sorts it but thanks for help be it I had to moan. ;)

Also my initial problem is not addressed (the game NODVD .EXE I submitted), I have uninstalled it as it was crap anyhow.

Edit : Seem the App now opens a page to download a full new build instead of updating itself automatically, this is a bit of a PIA TBH and hope its only temporary till he fixes it if indeed it needs fixing as it was fine before as I have stated above !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.