Why Mount an image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mfabien, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Using Windows Explorer, I can click on "Computer" select my external Backup_HDD drive, click on the archive image, click on the slice and see all my files, including my normally hidden boot files.

My internal drive is C:\

The archive data is shown as having the C: address (but not C:\)

From Acronis I can "Explore" my archive. Acronis causes Windows Explorer to open up, just like I described above. No difference.

If I mount the image there will be a new drive letter assigned during the Mounting session, such as L:

Is the reason to mount the archive the recommended way when copying files from the archive image so that there is no confusion which could be caused because to the drive letter? ... say copy *.* from drive L: to drive C:\?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There was a big discussion on this earlier. See this link:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=154735

A good reason is that you can mount as Read/Write and make a modification (which is actually captured as an incremental, not as a direct modification to the archive).

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Another reason is that if you want to run a diff program between current files and a backup, the backup will needs a drive reference.

F.

4. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Just got my ATI on December 12. Current threads were not carrying this subject... I should have made a search.

Having read this and the other thread, my understanding now is that if I simply want to verify or even copy a file in the image, Windows Explore is good enough.

If, however, I wish to change to content of an archived file in the image, mounting and making it Read and Write will cause an incremental entry. In addition, I could, while the image is mounted, scan the archive image for viruses and quarantine the contaminated files before restoring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.