Why ? Live DVD fine but Install fail !

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by rrrh1, Jan 9, 2016.

1. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Trying Linuxmint 17.3 XFCE x64 from a live DVD got every thing working even printing.
    When installed to the hard drive the video goes haywire, the printer won't print and WiFi won't work.
    Where is the problem ? Older Linuxmint versions worked before on same hardware, AMD Phenom II 945, 4GB Ram, integrated AMD / ATi graphics.

Finally killed it playing with the display / video settings.

Why will it work nearly perfectly from the live DVD but install is a disaster.
    Have used it in Virtualbox got everything but printing working (didn't really try) from the Virtual Machine.

Is there something simple I have overlooked, or should I download 17.2 and try it ?.

Looked at thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/linux-mint-17-3-rosa-a-wilted-flower.382744/

Had less trouble with Mint 13 on an old PIII machine.

rrrh1(arch1)

2. dogfish666

dogfish666 Registered Member

HI iam using linux mint 17.3 xfce i upgraded from 17.2 xfce using update manager no problem Iam using amd fx 4300 quad core 16gb ram
    and asus sabertooth 990fx R.20 works ok my friend had problem with dual boot 17.3 xfce grub etc
    so i would try 17.2 xfce on dvd first to check then if good install it let me if 17.2 xfce worked also if it works and your keen you could upgrade afterwards from update manager to 17.3 xfce you may just be happy with 17.2 xfce your choice

Iam sure these bugs will be fixed on 17.3 in general linux mint is a good distro;)

edit version 14.12pm 10 01 2016

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Well, some of these upgradable distros will eventually break. I myself couldn't install Ubuntu 15.10, after rebooting GRUB didn't even appear, or while installing I'd see a bizarre error about how the installation failed because of a time error, or whatever error Ubuntu decided to pick.

I suggest you try again, and if it fails you could stay with 17.2 for now, then upgrade in the future.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I distro shop a bit for old laptops. OP did nothing wrong. I've had the exact experience numerous times. Where the live session of a particular distro runs well. But the installed version doesn't work maybe can't even get it to install.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.