Why isn't Windows SmartScreen in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I was just thinking of that. It seems a useful security feature that the average user could benefit from, so why didn't they release it for Windows 7 as well? Could Windows 7 not handle it somehow, or is it just a way for them to make people want to upgrade to Windows 8 so they can make more money?

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Wow! thats a question to be answered only by a microsoft or who knows a little bit of the internals of how big the change had been made at the OS level...

this is one of the feature i like it very much in windows 8. It definitely adds a worthy layer of protection. Sadly this is something which is still ignored by AV test organizations.

Intersted to see what features they are bringing in W8.1 security wise..

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. HTG Explains: How the SmartScreen Filter Works in Windows 8.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Money and Market Share of Windows 8+ of course. If it will be ported, I'm betting it'll be done unofficially (unless Microsoft can attract more people with this to Windows 7 w/o negatively affecting 8+).

5. It has, it is only the same as the XP version, see picture. It display this text for every downloaded, only the text differed, difference with 8 is that this applies a whitelist (signed = silent pass) and blacklist (known in MSE data base = block), for all other (display warning).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They need a reason to sell Windows 8. If they'd just give everything to Windows 7 users, then what's the point in trying to sell the new OS ?

7. itman

itman Registered Member

It is cloud based. Also appears the hashing is done for every run request? Considering many AVs and other anti-malware software also use cert. status and hashing results for program verification, use of this feature is questionable. I do however see that MS can eliminate 'Windows Genuine Advantage" processing with this feature since MS has already data mined that info from your PC.

Privacy Concerns

Because SmartScreen reports information about each application you run to Microsoft to check whether the application should be run or not, it’s been singled out in the media as a potential privacy problem.

SmartScreen sends several pieces of data to Microsoft when you run a program. The information includes the file name of the application you attempt to run, along with a hash of the application’s contents — this hash is compared to Microsoft’s database. If it matches a known-good application, such as iTunes, it’s allowed to run. (For more information about the exact data sent to Microsoft, read this post on the Within Windows blog.)

When you attempt to run an application on Windows 8, Microsoft will know the file name of the application you’re attempting to run, along with your IP address.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I beg to differ on the "usefulness". I usually utilize built-in security features but personally speaking, I find SmartScreen a joke at the moment. Useful for average users? Maybe but I'm not too sure. Joe and Jane will unnecessarily doubt clean files or eventually get tired of the prompts and simply choose to ignore the warning (and risk it being malware). The "application reputation' database they have is rather limited IMO.

If not all that, then I think it sort of discriminates against independent small-time developers.

https://plus.google.com/109262616794768311251/posts/1uTLtS7k8Q3
    http://www.istartedsomething.com/20...tion-smartscreen-speed-bump-for-desktop-apps/
    http://thundercloud.net/infoave/new...et-explorer-9s-so-called-smart-screen-filter/
    http://nftb.saturdaymp.com/dealing-with-microsofts-smartscreen-filter/

As for the privacy concerns, it mainly started from Nadim Kobeissi
    Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install, Not Very Securely

and here's what Rafael Rivera had to say
    Thoughts on the Windows SmartScreen scare

I don't see system-wide SmartScreen as much of a big deal. Win7 users are not losing that much without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.