Why is TI 10 Home so slow in 35GB fullbackup (Image)?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by orestesd, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orestesd

orestesd Registered Member

Last weekend I finally got around to buy TI 10 Home (or is it TI Home 10?). Anyway, I installed it and updated the software (build 4942 - March 12, 2007). Then, I created a bootable TI Home disc (build 4942). I used this disc to boot on my PC, and I was able to do so. Then, I remember to select the full version to load. Finally, I went to create a full backup image of my 80GB hard drive (it created a 34GB fullbackup image file on an external drive); however, it took 2 hours to backup this image. Is anyway to speed up this process? By the way, after the fullbackup was done, I went and verified the backup file (another 1.5 hours). Then, I booted up to Windows XP Home Edition, and mounted this backup image, and tried a few things. It seems to work; thus, I left it as is.

I cannot remember the all the setting under which I made my fullbackup image file, but I believe that one of the settings (automatic) was on. Sorry if I repeat again, but is there a way to speed up this fullbackup image process? Could doing this inside windows itself be any faster than the way I did this? Thanks.

-orestesd

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI when backing up to an internal drive will take very roughly because it is system dependent, 1 minute for each GB of Normal compressed data in the archive tib file. So if you are using normal compression and your archive is 20GB it should take about 20minutes. This is in Windows.

The CD environment is Linux and in general it is not as fast. Sometimes very much slower than Windows and sometimes not much slower at all than Windows. It depends on your hardware and how well the Linux drivers handle it.

Another option is to make a BartPE CD and use it. It has the advantage of using Windows drivers so the speed is comparable to running the backup within Windows.

To speed up your current situation:
    Do a backup from within Windows and see how long it takes.
    Create the archive to another partition or better still a second internal HD. A second internal HD and a backup done within Windows is as fast as you will get on your system.

3. orestesd

I will try some of the suggestion as soon as possible, and then I will post here. However, I have been reading here in this forum a lot about the "BartPE" CD as you mentioned it. So I am gathering that this "BartPE" (someone called it plugin?) is different from the CD I created after updating TI to its latest build. And from what you are saying this "BartPE" CD (bootable CD--I hope) works mostly like TI within Windows. So how do I create this BartPE CD? Does the Windows IT has it?

Anyway, thanks for your response, seekforever.

-orestesd

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162424

The above link should get you going. Mustang who provided the above method has his own version of the plugin. TI also supplies a plugin with the TI installation file but I believe you have to do a Complete install to have the plugin files copied to your HD.

PE stands for Preparation Environment and in simple terms it is a version of Windows (WindowsPE) that Microsoft makes available only to their corporate licensed customers for setting up new PCs with Windows. A fellow by the name of Bart saw how useful this concept was and developed his own Windows-based environment. Even though it works in a similar fashion it is not the same as the Microsoft version. It does use Windows components and supports Windows device drivers. To get around licensing issues a highly automated creation framework is provided but you have to provide your own Windows CD for some necessary files to be copied into the framework.

It also allows you to insert special drivers for mass-storage and network devices. (Perhaps others too but I don't know.)

Once the BartPE files are assembled a CD is burned which results in a bootable CD capable of running the TI and any other plugin that was installed.

Unlike the TI rescue CD you can't remove the BartPE CD from the computer because it does not load the whole environment into memory like the TI CD does.

I find it comforting to have a BartPE CD as a fallback but the TI CD and Linux environment work fine on my machines. Also, the BartPE environment will let you do other functions not available on the TI CD such as file management.

5. orestesd

seekforever

Thanks a lot. The TI CD seems to work fine so far on my PC. I will keep on reading here, and see if BartPE is for me.

Update 04-17-2007, 6:04pm PDT:

I am backing up to an external usb hdd within windows, and the indicating time says it takes 1hour 17 minutes for a fullbackup image of my 80gb hdd. It is better, but it is not certainly fast. I wonder how long it takes to restore the hdd if it fails to load windows for reason other than an actual hardware failure or hdd crash. I am planning to install a second ide hdd into my desktop just to do the backups since it looks as if to backup the main C drive takes about 34gb in my external usb hdd.

Regards,
    -orestesd

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.