Why is this so Bit Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I just did a update on my BitDefender Pro 9 on my PC and I noticed that the update was quite a big one, normally bigger than the normal virus definition updates. Now after the updates were finished I was asked to re-boot my PC. I've this same thing a while back, though very rare I'm asked to re-boot the PC.

Whats the reason behind this for me to have to re-boot the computer. Would it also be a program update as well or just purely the antivirus definitions update. Assume it was also a prog update, after I re-booted the PC and had a look at BD Pro 9, the prog still looked very much the same and could not seem to see any changes.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    When you need to bounce the rig....yes it's usually from a program update....and don't forget, updates to the program can be in several different areas, the AV engine itself, or the update utility, etc.

3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Ok ot you. So an update is just more than virus definitions.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I belive they are upgrading HiVE this way. It was introduced but not yet fully completed. Maybe just bugfixes, but most probably engine elated since interface is mostly finished and polished. But Softwin guys are probably the only ones that know exactly what was served to clients...

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

ISSUE:

Describes how to configure and use the Update module.

SOLUTION:

Because new threats appear every day, BitDefender antivirus must be updated periodically. The updates can be:

* Virus signatures: databases of virus prints to be compared with the scanned files. Shown as Virus Definitions Update. These updates require restarting BitDefender. The restart occurs automatically.
    * Spam signatures: rules for the heuristic and URL filters increasing the effectiveness of the antispam engine. Shown as AntiSpam Update.
    * Product upgrades: new product features, scan techniques and hotfixes. Shown as Product Update. Occasionally, installing these updates requires restarting the computer.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Not sure I follow you....but yes...an "update" can be more than just definitions. It can be "anthing newer than what's currently on there".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.