Why is my internet browsing so slow?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wendi, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

badkins, I'll certainly try that, but what makes you think my processor (i7 quad) is bogging-down?

Wendi

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, it was worth a shot though I reckon. Is this a recurring problem, or has it just started? It may not have anything to do with your router or computer.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it is impossible to completely uninstall Chrome. I doubt it is a browser problem anyhow. I would recommend the x64 Opera if you are running a x64 computer.

4. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

First, go through the process of elimination;

1) Take laptop to another home with a fast connection, plug it in, and see how the speed is.. If it is faster, then consult your cable company to send someone out to fix it for you.

2) Turn OFF the Software Firewall on your AV product. It may be causing issues, did that fix it? If not proceed onward.

3) Type MSCONFIG in Start Menu Box, then disable whatever you can at Startup. Leave the antivirus running, but really not much else should be needed depending on your setup. Reboot. Did that fix it? If not proceed;

I can recommend a lot of tweaks.. First I would install Chrome, then go to About:Flags (on chrome address bar entry window), turn on HTTP Pipelining and turn OFF Asynchronous DNS. Close the browser, reopen it. Did that fix it? Note: if you don't want the baggage of Chrome, grab CHROMIUM and do the same thing, Chromium doesn't even have an installer, just unzip it and run it! http://download-chromium.appspot.com/ (still follow previous instructions)

If not, load up IE, select options, go to Internet Options, Connections, then Lan Settings, disable Automatic Lookup.

Next download TCP optimizer, move the slider to your stated ISP downline speed, click the optimize checkbox, apply, then save, and reboot machine. Did that fix it? http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php

If not, right click the internet icon on the windows tray, open network sharing center, then on the right click on change adapter settings. Highlight it, right click to Properties. Highlight Internet Protocols Version IPv4, then click properties, advanced, then WINS, then check "Disable Netbios". Apply. Then go back and uncheck Internet Protocols Version IPv6 (disable it).

Reboot. That fix it?

If not, then it is likely your ISP, because all of my changes would result in a fairly significant speed increase while browsing.

5. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Wendi, I have the same FiOS internet plan as you, 15/5. When I do a speed check, I actually clock in at 21/6. Out of curiosity, which wireless router are you using, the old Actiontec brick, (I don't remember the model), or the newer Actiontec MI424-WR? I've heard some of the old bricks are having issues, and a swap for the new model takes care of the problem.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

What kind of ping times are you getting, Wendi? Just type "cmd" (no quotes) in the Start>>Run field and enter to open a command line.

Attached Files:

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Wendi, I still haven't seen feedback on the simplest (imo) diagnostic, suggested by Cruise - start up the browser without add-ons. If you're running IE, you should find a shortcut for just that I believe in the start menu under Accessories/System Tools. Does the problem persist under those conditions?

8. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Are any neighbors experiencing this problem? If so, might it be Superstorm Sandy related?

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Attached Files:

• CIR.png
      CIR.png
      File size:
      34.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Thanks all, but my head is now swimming with all of your feedback, so I'm going to try to organize the advice you've given me before continuing on. After that I will try some more of your suggestions and report back....

Wendi

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

lol! I don't doubt that :D

I think the best advice offered before proceeding with anything else was to try your computer on a neighbour's/friend's internet connection to see if your issue persists!

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I concur! Great place to start. Naturally, you confirm first that the neighbor/friend has no similar issues with their connection. :D

14. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Yes that's a good idea, also try the safe mode with networking, suggested by Stapp. this could identify a software incompatibility

15. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Or how bout just using a "portable version"! ;)

16. badkins79

badkins79 Registered Member

I have no evidence that your processor is bogged-down. But I don't know that is isn't bogged down either.

This is usually my first step to investigate PC slowdowns. Its super simple and gives useful info. If it shows a process hogging the CPU, then you have your answer. If it doesn't, then you know its not a runaway process and you can move on to networking tests, etc.

17. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Wendy, 99% of the time when I have a speed problem, the problem is my ISP.

They come to my house and when they perform speed tests, the test results show that I am getting the contracted speed. At the same time, if I download files from the internet, the DL speed might be 10 or 15 times less than it should be.

They try to convince me that things are fine. The way I get them to fix my speed is by calling everyday and having someone come to my home every NIGHT. Afterward, I start asking for discount. When they get tired of my calls, coming to my home and giving me credits, all of the sudden my speed gets fixed.

The speed that I get now is probably one of the best in my country. My ISP provider is a thief and they take advantage of people that cant argue with them.

Bo

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Now I wonder if you have my ISP, Bo :D As to Chrome and its uninstall procedure, like most programs it leaves folders and registry entries behind. It also leaves its updater behind and sometimes even still running, though the last few releases have gotten much better about that. Hopefully Wendi your issue gets settled soon. I do agree it's easy to get overloaded on information here, lol. But a problem like this can be caused by a variety of issues, usually something so simple it's not even thought about.

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If OP has a heavy desktop. My suggestion & the easy directions I linked to are by far the easiest solution I've seen in this topic. But for a laptop going to a neighbors & using their internet is alright I guess.

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

21. encus

encus Registered Member

Try cleaning junk files on your system using Disk Cleanup/CCleaner/other apps.

Good luck.

22. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Just a long shot here and i dont know if anyone else has suggested this but is there any extensions that could be slowing things down.?
    Sorry if that is not much help but just a suggestion.

23. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I apologize for the long delay in my getting back to all of you who have tried to help me with my problem. It's just that it has been an exhausting journey trying every potential solution suggested here!

Nothing that I tried solved my problem until the remedy that I left for the very last - installing Chrome. As soon as I started running Chrome my slowdown issues disappeared. So IE9 (or perhaps some setting within IE9) was the underlying cause of my slowdown (although I had ruled-out my IE addons as I still had the problem after disabling all of them). o_O

I want to thank all of you for your interest and help.

Wendi

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Very happy to learn that Chrome came through for you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.