Why is iOS less popular in here than Android?

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by mattdocs12345, Sep 19, 2017.

1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Back in 2008 I tried Android on a tablet, I didn't like it for various reasons. Irrespectively, in my profession most people use iOS, so for me iPhone was a better choice. But given the nature of this forum, I wonder why is there so many android users? iOS is more secure and committed to a company that does not have any income in selling your data. From privacy perspective it would also make sense to go iOS.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. That's one of the reasons I use iPhone :)

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Have you used Android after that in 10 years ? iOS is restrictive that's why people prefer Android.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Not all can afford a iOS based systems and around 85% of the world market is Android based. So, more Android user than iOS + naturally more discussions about android

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Yes I agree it is probably because cheap, throwaway devices usually have Android on them.

6. mattdocs12345

That used to be true, iPhone SE is now $349 unlocked or $14 a month with carrier financing. Of course this holds only for US but still.

7. mattdocs12345

I have not used Android in 10 years due to my privacy concerns with google. I agree iOS is restrictive but things have been improving over the years after Jobs left.

8. RockLobster

You can get an Android prepaid, no contract phone for $20

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This. My Note 5 was as much as an Apple device would have been, but I don't want to be restricted by what Apple wants to allow me to do. I like to customize things. Apple does not allow a lot of that.

10. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

I have to agree with the reason being the restrictions imposed by iOS. Price is not a problem, the top Android devices are as expensive as the IPhone.

11. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

That's not the point. In many countries, most people don't buy "top" phones.

Where I live, more than 60 percent of phones sold cost less than 200 USD. The iPhone market share is less than 7 percent.

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Android has come a long way. Also in my experiences, tech folks (at least the ones I work and hang out with) all prefer Android. It allows for customization compared to Apple's walled garden? Me, I have both. I have an iPhone 7 for work and an Android for my personal phone.

13. mattdocs12345

True but wouldn't privacy come ahead of customization for most tech folks?

14. Trooper

Not all apparently. :)

15. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

If you don't use a stock ROM but rather a custom ROM like LineageOS, GApps is not included and you are not forced to install it. So you have it both - privacy and customization. ;)

16. Trooper

Also with the iPhone X and Face ID, not really sure Apple cared about privacy.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

First of all, there is no absolute privacy. You can reduce your loss of privacy with iOS, but it cannot be truly "customized" like Android: https://copperhead.co/android/ (just one example)

Therefore due to the wide variety of devices, Android can be better or worse than iOS in many ways. Since I'm given a choice, I choose more options not less.

18. mattdocs12345

True but there is a balance between usability and closed OS system. Having custom ROM which leaves you unable to install apps related to your work or use google maps for navigation (when standard GPS fails) feels more restricted than being part of Apple wall garden. Then again most people don't use privacy oriented custom ROMs on Android which leaves still large proportion of users preferring loss of privacy over wall garden of iOS or wall garden of LineageOS.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The difference is simple: You built the "walled garden" of LineageOS and can choose to customize or change ROM. Apple built the walled garden of iOS and you have no choice but to conform or abandon them.

20. RockLobster

Installing custom rom does not prevent you installing any app that you could have installed to the factory ROM.
    In other words you don't need any of the Google play framework to get apps from the Google play store.

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Because it's my castle. I paid for it. Only I get the keys.

I'm being nice. I hope everybody noticed. Cause I don't suffer fools lightly.

Oh well I tried. Really I did.

22. mattdocs12345

How do you get apps that are solely on Google play store (Im talking abut work related apps here).

23. RockLobster

Not sure what you mean by work related apps are they different from other apps?

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I personally prefer Android to iOS. I paid less than $140 for my current Android phone, two years ago, and I would find it hard to justify spending much more than $200 on a phone.

Despite being a cheap Chinese phone, I can not fault the quality of it, and due to software updates it runs much faster now than when I purchased it.

25. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.