Why I just left reddit.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by mirimir, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Here's what happened:
    1. Someone posted in /r/privacy, with concerns about ISP monitoring.
    2. I recommended using a VPN.
    3. A bot flagged my post, because using the acronym "VPN" is forbidden on /r/privacy.
    4. I complained on /r/VPNs, pointing out that this is absurd.
    5. A moderator criticized me, saying that I shill for IVPN.
    6. I replied to the criticism, disputing the accusation.
    7. They banned me from /r/VPNs.
    8. I left reddit, because /r/VPNs and /r/privacy are two main reasons for being there.
    It's sad, but so it goes.

2. aih

aih Registered Member

I'm curious what's the rationale regarding #3?

I joined one time to subscribe to the BlackBerry conversation. Somehow haven't been back. Never got into reddit.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Can we finally just say it & accept it.

Both the truth & privacy are dead.

Long live alternative facts, ego & narcissism.

mirimir you were wronged.

Only the very rich are correct (sic) all the time.

4. mirimir

They say it's because so many shills, affiliates, etc promote particular VPN services. But I didn't recommend a particular VPN service. I just recommended using a VPN, to hide Tor use from ISPs.

Isn't it mind-boggling that, on a subreddit about privacy, one can't write the acronym "VPN" aka "virtual private network"?

5. mirimir

Thanks, @zapjb :)

It's not a big deal, really. I never really liked reddit. Too many jerks and idiots.

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

@mirimir
    A pity they're apparently ignorant of VPNs, and have such a Draconian and rude attitude. You're best not going near them if they're like that, and a lesson for others to note.

7. mirimir

@Dermot7 -- Yeah. But it's not that they're ignorant about VPNs. They just have a vendetta against promotion of particular VPNs. You can't write "VPN" in /r/privacy, and in /r/VPNs, you can't write the name of a particular VPN service.

Wilders is tightly moderated, and I like that. But the mods are sane. Maybe it's just that reddit gets so much traffic, even niche subreddits like /r/privacy and /r/VPNs. I mean, there is some VPN shilling on Wilders, but not much. So I do appreciate the hassle of moderating subreddits where jerks are constantly pushing whatever VPNs they're paid to push. But damn, those mods have jumped the shark.

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Reddit has some good stuff but also a ton of bad. I think you were definitely wronged in this situation. A lot of the mods on Reddit are a bunch of egotistical dicks. Sorry it happened to you.

9. mirimir

@Trooper -- Thanks :) But it really doesn't matter. Mirimir(a) is just one persona ;) And it's devoted mainly to proselytizing about VPNs, so leaving was the clear choice.

10. Trooper

I totally understand. I have been banned on some subreddits over their for mainly trivial issues. The longest ban I ever received was for 30 days. Crazy as I have never been banned anywhere else all these years on the internet. I guess Reddit is just so huge that the mods use the ban hammer quite frequently.

Glad to have you hear on Wilders and thanks for all of your VPN work! Cheers! :)

11. mirimir

Right. But it wasn't the ban. I didn't even check whether it was temporary or permanent.

I left because of the policies. Especially the /r/privacy policy. It's arguably impossible to say anything about online privacy without mentioning VPNs. Or at least, anything that isn't misleading. I mean, I could have gone for some circumlocution like V*N or ICA or вчс or whatever. But I doubt that would have worked.

12. Trooper

Oh I understand where you are coming from. I left /r/privacy awhile back myself for similar issues.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

And Let's Leave It At That. Thank You All For Participating!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.