Why don't people listen - Not to use IE?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chew, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Oh brother !
    It is simple really . First . Why would anyone care what others use if it does not apply to you ? And second . All I hear about is FireFox . I used it . It sucks , IMO only . Is IE dangerous ? Of course . Is FireFox ? Kinda BUT , will get worse . When Firefox only has about 5 % of the market and MS has around 90 % , why would hackers go to attack FF ? In time my friend . In time . Right now , FF is safer . Seems to me that anyone that thinks IE is unsafe should shutup about getting people to switch . The more that switch , the more vulnerable FF will become . Very simple actually .
    Ande Dazed said it best . NetCaptor is STILL IE per se' but , SHE LIKES IT . Nuff said

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I still use IE, but I surf with ShadowUser running. Have IE settings hardened anyway.

3. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Listen to who ?

If some people don't know how to fully secure IE, and make it as safe as any browser can be right now, then they should be more careful before advising others !

All browsers will no doubt be subject to more vulnerabilities. The script kiddies etc will see FF and the others as a challenge to try and defeat, as we have witnessed recently. I imagine this will only get worse !

StevieO

4. Marvin Niven

Marvin Niven Registered Member

Are you saying that Firefox vulnerabilities be better understood and exploited as it increases in popularity? If so, when do you believe it will reach this critical mass?

Marvin
    Outsourced Software Testing Services

5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

6. Sxperm

Sxperm Registered Member

IMO I think IE is good browser but Opera is my best :D . No browser is 100% safe. If you need some security in surfing you should protect yourself by AV, AT, AS and FW (in some case IPS software like processguard or Net Armor should be concerned :D Nothing Perfect my friends.

7. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

I am using Proxomitron but do not understand the reference to a "whitelist". Could someone give me a reference to this or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i believe they are referring to the bypass list. right-click proxomitron in ths systray, go to edit blockfile and select bypass which is at the very top. in the text file u can enter url u want to bypass but im not sure on the format.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I thought the extension "NoScript" of Firefox also works with a whitelist.
    My problem is that I don't even understand the meaning of the word "Whitelist". We use probably another word at work in Belgium.
    Maybe it's the opposite of Blacklist LOL

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u are correct, noscript does work on a whitelist and whitelist is the opposite of blacklist too.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks alot.
    I know what blacklist means and now I know what whitelist means.
    I can use both in our little Free Lotto Forum too LOL.
    Whitelist = Honest Free Lotto List
    Blacklist = Dishonest Free Lotto List

12. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Maybe, maybe not. Don't forget that you can have trojan in your web browser's cache, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your computer is infected. The installation of the trojan has to succeed first. If it didn't succeed (for whatever reason), the computer isn't actually infected.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.