Why does Threatfire want internet access?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firebytes, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

It'd be less of a stretch of imagination to assume that maybe the whitelist isn't stored remotely.

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Probably an invisible background block is made whilst the whitelist is checked,then an alert is made or not.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  3. Hairy Coo

Quite possibly it has a local whitelist maintained remotely.Would explain the speed.

TF has a database in its file,but this appears to be for antivirus in the paid version and non operating in the free

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

If this is true then the whitelist would have to be local since TF never asked for internet access until after I saw an alert popup.

If the whitelist is local and I have Community Contributiions and Auto Updates turned off then the only reason I could think of for it to access the net would be the fact that turning off community contributions and auto updates doesn't really turn them off.

5. Hairy Coo

But ,assuming all this is the case-the whitelist isn't static and has to be maintained on a permanent basis from the remote server-so obviously it needs access-how else is it going to update its information?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  6. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Ahhh, gotcha ;)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is quite possible and even likely too. I'd report it and/or post on the TF forums and see... it's been known to happen in other apps before...

8. Hairy Coo

Well-I had auto updates turned off and it didnt update.

edit ;Just double checked this,d/led an old version-turned off auto update allowed internet access-had to manual update.

Dont waste your time at the Forum-its not a reported issue- and no one seems to say anything about it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.