Why does PS need to call out to net

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by PE, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PE

PE Guest

Hey jason --or whoever can answer this.

Why do i have to give rights for PS to call out to net.If there is a reason i can understand i dont mind--otherwize i dont allow it to call out.

PE is like a fine wine--just gets better with time.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi PE,
    how about resolving IP addresses, whois, receiving data packets to your system, tracert, etc.?
    It only doesn't need to act as a server, but connect to internet yes, is necessary.
    You might like to add the PE process to the socket spy and look at it's traffic.

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi there PE, thanks for your question - it's a reasonable one, and one we're asked regularly.

At the end of the day, Port Explorer doesn't need any Internet access at all - it will work just fine without it, but naturally if you want to use network-related utilities that are built-in, such as Resolve, Traceroute, Whois, etc etc, then those utilities will naturally need Internet access. Remember, just resolving an IP address requires Internet access.

From the Troubleshooting | Frequently Asked Questions section of the helpfile (pehelp.chm):

Do I need to allow Port Explorer access through my personal firewall?
    You don't have to, but it is recommended. If you block Port Explorer with your firewall you won't be able to do such things as resolve/traceroute/ping addresses, or use utilities such as the Whois client, but these would be the only restrictions.

Cheers,
    Wayne

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I might just add that Port Explorer always RESOLVE's addresses in the main table even when resolving of addresses is turned off. This is so when its reenabled again all the addresses will be resolved and there won't be any time taken to resolve them all.

Sometimes windows takes DNS requests using Port Explorer and sometimes it goes through SVCHOST (depending on whether your on WinNT kernel or Win9x). Port Explorer doesn't NEED any internet connection as has been said, just you will lose the ability to use some features if you don't.
    -Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.