why does avira always do so bad in other tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Probably because on a clean system it has one of the highest (if not the highest) probabilities of keeping it clean. That is why I use it and have never had any malware invade my box with Avira. And I am a very high risk surfer.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

After my last re4mat AntiVir went on 1st (even before M$-patches) as I believe what your saying to be true, but Mele has had her share of Avira-issues. Just read her posts, it's like an ad for why not to use AntiVir. She sure didn't tolerate KAV's BS...

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

A few flaws does not negate the value. No AV is 100% of anything. You roll the dice each day you are online. I have had many issues with the Avira firewall (and still do) but a rule was created by them to fully stealth all ports.

I can tell you that Avira and NOD32 will likely protect you better on a clean system than anything else. Always go with the highest probability play even if there are occasional problems. It is an overall contextual evaluation-and Avira wins.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I recently did a reformat and put Avira Premium on here cause it was about the only AV that I didn't have any issues with. Running nicely for me, no probs yet. Also very light which I like too. As with firewalls, it's often difficult to find one with no issues, so when I do, I stick with it.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I like and hold licenses to both Nod32 and AntiVir Premium, and I've been running the latter on my main box for over five months now. I can only say that I haven't had a single issue with it from the start.

Detection is absolutely first rate as well. :)

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

hi Steve, I used the upload webpage posted by Thug21 above.

I would agree here according to my experience. I have a sample file on my pc which is detected as 'tr/patch.f.2' by avira. I sent this file twice to kasperskys analysts (newvirus at kaspers) and they insist that 'no malicious code was found in this file'. Then submitted this to avira and got and 'interesting' response:
    Then, for avira the file is a FP and it's not malicious but at same time they won't remove detection because of 'file does not belong to...' :rolleyes:
    Avira's policy, i guess.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Different policies for riskware/PUP detection :)
    This is one of the reasons why you should look carefully at Virustotal/Jotti reports.

8. 19monty64

This file in question is from a file within PC Pitstop Optimize that is flaggedo_O from here

9. Macstorm

Yes, i'm already aware of it ;)

10. Macstorm

no, the sample is a 'patch' file used supposedly to bypass the activation process of legit Optimize program.

11. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

if you mean VirusBulletin I am quite sure that it is not powered by it :D

13. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

In opposite to AntiVir Avira Firewall is a disaster according to firewall tests.

14. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Leak tests, or stealth tests, or some other?

15. SystemJunkie

go to matousec and watch the list, they spare us from doing the tests ourselves despite the fact that it makes a lot of fun testing firewalls, I made several tests myself and agree to the most results of matousec, except norton and pc tools firewall they deserve higher rankings in case they have advanced protection features enabled in raw status both firewall are not really good. PC Tools Firewall even belongs at least to the top ten with advanced protection features enabled.

16. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

That's leak test results, which isn't really important to me. :D

17. ultragunnerdcl

That is true, Its firewall & self defense sucks. I use the Avira Premium only, not the internet suite with online armor.:D

18. SystemJunkie

Ah okay they also have a bundle with online armor good to know and very good choice, hehe.
    Best results together with outpost.

19. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Maybe ultragunnerdcl meant that you should use OA's HIPS alongside Avira's suite - or that he uses OA alongside the PE Premium. Online Armor isn't bundled with anything from Avira.

20. ultragunnerdcl

Actually what I meant I use the Basic Avira Antivir Premium Antivirus with Online Armor with HIPS. Online Armor did first place in the matoussec firewall place by the way. It really rocks, simpler than comodo to use.:thumb:

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

A very happy Avira Suite customer here. At this time, I wouldn't have any other anti-malware software on my computer. It runs so light and performs so well, that if it weren't for the splash screen at startups, the update pop up in the upper right hand corner of the screen, and of course, the little red umbrella, I wouldn't know it was there. :)

22. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Where did you get that from? Like IBK has said, virusinfo is certainly not powered by virus bulletin.

23. 19monty64

Ah, thank you. For avoiding the online activation, I see.

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The irony here is that KAV on demand scanner only would suite me the best of all AV... if it wasn't for Kaspersky as a company. I mean they are getting rid of ISwift in 2008 so KAV would probably be just what I want ....except for the business ethics of the company so I won't be using it. What I want though is an outstanding on demand right click scanner. With Avira that is how I was running it until it was clear to me that the unpacking abilities are so poor that it was a risk to not use the Guard. With Kaspersky, I wouldn't need a realtime scanner (given my internet habits as I am not a high risk user). As for NOD32, the main reason I left it was because the on demand scanner was being neglected. Maybe I will try Bit Defender free again. I loved it but after about a year and one-half you can't keep the free version and I got the Pro version 9 and loved it until the forced upgrade to 9.5 which promptly caused a BSOD on boot due to the BD driver and BD blamed Spybot and Spyware Blaster so I left them (after much troubleshooting with them that got nowhere except them demanding I remove Spybot and Spyware Blaster) and got Kaspersky and now have Avira.

Avira has the best detection of all ...BUT that is if you use the whole thing and I really just want an outstanding on demand scanner which Kaspersky has...ahh....the irony. :p

25. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Mele20 , have you ever been told that you are very capricious or fastidious ? :rolleyes: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.