why does avira always do so bad in other tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And no onw can fault you for that. It is all a learning process and one that Aviras needs to see for future enhancements. :)

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Avira has wish list now in the stickies at the top of the Personal Premium forum. A user suggested it and Radu agreed. So, go post this in the sticky as something we want as a future enhancement.

3. R8y

R8y Registered Member

Seems like no official feedback on any of the suggestions yet:( I will wait untill I get an email reply about how they will do with my infected exe file as mentioned before.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i suggest that somebody suggests a longer length of time for beta-testing.

5. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

I never had problems with Kaspersky and never heard of it not cleaning malware properly. Live and learn.

As far as Drweb disinfecting exe files infected by fujack and viking.Are you sure they were not false alarms. I would backup/image my hd before letting that av "disinfect" stuff.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. R8y

R8y Registered Member

As you said, live and learn, ;) I am very sure about dr.web's detection and disinfection on those files because before I started with Avira I was a Dr.Web 4.44 beta tester, and I am very impressed with dr.web's detection and cleaning ability for such variants.

I have seen quite a few complains on my forum during the year about certain antivirus deleted all fujack/viking infected files or didn't fix it properly. But I don't want to comment further because this is still a thread about AVIRA. :D

PS: My apology, I am wrong on the previous post, not most of the time K will delete or damage files, but quite a few times. Sorry for the confusion and mis-interpretation.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

In my "limited" testing I have also found that Avira is the top AV for detection.
    But it is not that good. NO AV can detect ALL malware.

8. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

True, but nearly all.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am ready to see their Outlook plugin added to the suite. Flawless beta. And this idiot didnt realize that by adding a single rule to Outlook it would move my marked spam.

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But not "new" malware/zero-day threats.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Being worked on, as we speak.;)

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Already done. I was one of the ones pushing for this and Avira has said that there will be considerable changes in beta testing. I suggested that Avira go to a model more like Kaspersky and others and, toward the end, have a public beta where anyone can participate. There was a nasty problem with certain nVidia chipsets after the Sept upgrade that would have been discovered certainly in a large public beta like what KAV and Symantec and others do. I don't know if these sorts of changes will come quickly as moving from this quarterly thing to a year instead would not be easy and maybe that won't be adopted but we have been promised longer, public betas.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, mele gets the credit for that one. Good idea to.:thumb:

14. gav1577

gav1577 Registered Member

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

gav1577. Have you considered using something like Online Armor Free to protect your AV? I know Kaspersky is good and obviously protects itself well, but a good HIPS like OA set to protect Avira would be even better protection in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  16. gav1577

Thanks Wordward i just had a read up about online armour and am going to try the free trial and see how it works with antivir hips is a must i found that out the hard way i thought nod 32 and antivir being so good would have at least protected their own program files from being deleted i mean how can they protect your files if they cant protect their own its a good job i never lost any valuble data or had to pay a shop to repair my pc oh well gues i learned a valuble lesson thanks for the adivice :D

gav

17. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Isn't Avira's cleaning capability a moot point when every AV company offers free cleaners (including Kaspersky, NOD32, Dr. Web. etc)? So you can have the high detection rate of Avira coupled with the cleaning abilities of the other AV's. I realize that the cleaners offered by the AV company aren't the full version of their products, but it's a very simple process to do a little research and find the cleaner(s) you need for your particular infection. I don't think an AV's cleaning capability or lack thereof is a reason to quit using it when so many tools are available should your system become infected.

18. gav1577

fair point i suppose :)

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I haven't finished reading all of the posts here, but wanted to add my simple two cents worth....

Avira does bad in tests....:doubt: :( hmm news to me...well it does good in my tests...the everyday use test...it has found things others missed at least on a couple of occassions. Light and effective for me rates well in the testmonials and does well in the tests that I look at. That is all the "testing" I need. ;)

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Indeed and I continue using Avira.:)

21. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Would be nice to have linkso_O Have you found them yeto_O

22. IBK

IBK AV Expert

23. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

zafactor maybe seen Avira's results in cleaning capabilities, and mistook them for the same as the detection rates. Thanx for the linx IBK, maybe zfactor can confirm some of the tests as the ones previously viewed....

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

most of the negatives i read were about the cleaning of avira. some were about the detection i am not sure where i saw them id have to do a google search and try to find them again. i spent a couple days just looking for more info on avira which is when i saw them. as well as a lot of user reviews which were mostly what threw me off.. i saw a ton of users in different forums and blog's where they said it just didnt do as well for them as they hoped it would.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

What I have learned from others here is that detection is the first key and Avira is very good at these. When it comes to cleaning, that termonology is subjective at best.. With detection it will neutralize the threat which is sufficient in most cases. Then you have others who try to clean the remains which can open up a whole new can of worms and last but not least, those can completely clean all remains. Every AV is different as to how well it performs in all 3 areas, but you have to start with the first "detection" before anything else matters. And that is where Avira excels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.