Why do you use NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by izi, Jun 23, 2004.

?

Why do you use NOD32? Beacause of:

1. Price

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good virus detection

37.5%
  3. Fast scanning

6.3%
  4. Easy to use

4.7%
  5. Advanced heuristics

14.1%
  6. Small updates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Light resources

37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tebi_tan

tebi_tan Guest

Now for a negative post.

I liked Nod32 for the reasons all posters already posted.

However I got a lot of false alarms, alarms which I did not get with other AV programs (I am a registered user of 4 AV programs, but using 2, one only with on-demand scanning active). The same problems I read in other forums that many people had.
    So I am now using Avast, which has much fewer false alarms, a similar footprint and also a plugin for The Bat e-mail client.
    My subscription for Nod32 is running out these days and I am still considering if I should pay again or not.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay. :rolleyes:

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I would like to know what was detected as FPs; I've fiddled a bit before and tried to see if I could get a FP with NOD but haven't managed to as of yet. Anyway, did you submit the FPs to Eset?

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Detox

From what I have read the pepole who get the most FP's seem to have
    several AV's on their system.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. tebi_tan

tebi_tan Registered Member

Detox,

Unfortunately the FPs were of a kind I could not send to Eset. Hopefully You understand what I mean.

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

If you ever encounter a false positive it's very important to email it to the vendor, they'll usually be more than happy to try to correct the problem so that the FPs are no longer detected, yet with the original malicious program/virus/trojan/etc still being detected.

If the files are of a personal nature or contain personal information, perhaps you can use a hex editor or other file modifier to remove your personal information, then re-scan and if it's still detected then submit the file for analysis.

If you still can't submit the file for whatever reason, then try to contact the vendor and at least tell them the name of the trojan/virus/etc that was detected, so that they can at least reassess the signatures being used to make that detection.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm using it:

- because it has a lighter footprint than KAV and is causing fewer problems (KAV on-access monitor sometimes misses viruses regardless of settings)

- because it has frequent updates

- because it has heuristics

- because improvements are coming

- because it has better support than Norton

- because I have pretty safe surfing habits and mainly need good ITW protection.

I still have KAV 4.5 installed for a second opinion.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  8. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Well my No.1 reason for using it is because I won a copy of it from Wilderssecurity.com. Then after that is it's reputation for being good.
    Other than that I can't really see any difference between it and NAV 2002 because thankfully I don't have any problems in that direction. (Now all that could change after writing this post). :rolleyes: So I didn't have a vote.

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

...always nice for starters :D

regards,

paul

10. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Probably says it all for us!

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Sorry, don't include me in your statement. If the statement read something like "NOD32 consistently has had the WORST VB record of all AV tested over a period of six years" then I would pay attention and would avoid NOD32. However, I don't give $%$# whether NOD32 has won every award for x number of years or not at VB. Most of the major AVs do quite well at VB and that is enough for me. After looking to see if an AV does well, but not necessarily outstanding, at VB, then I look to other testers to see how the AV does with them and then I take those AV and I begin to look at other factors to help me decide which I want to use: GUI, tech support, amount of resources used, how well the AV plays on my machine, the depth and breadth of the scanning engine, the philosophy behind the AV (very different for NOD32 versus KAV for instance), whether or not I am required to use IE and ActiveX (McAfee), the number and severity of problems users (particularly those with a setup like mine) are reporting,etc.

I particularly look at tech support and when I see something like Prolific Bunny's problem go on and on and on and still no response from Eset and no resolution and he is an admin here....well, that gives me pause as I wonder if an admin is ignored by Eset what about the little guy? This sort of situation would give me considerable pause with any AV I was evaluating. I left NAV because their tech support went from excellent, when I began using it in 2000, to abysmal when I left in September 2002 for NOD32. I think the decision of which AV to use depends on many factors and the standing at VB is only one of these and as long as the standing is in the top half of the heap that is sufficient. When an AV shrilly tells me over and over that it is number 1 at VB and doesn't mention anything else....well, I am not that impressed as it comes across that the AV has nothing else going for it. I do not think Eset should continue to put all their eggs in the one basket of the "holy god" VB!

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mele,

I'm sure Bunny will be helped out ;). That said: being an admin over here has nothing to do with Eset support. All are threated equally: as a registered software user. I for one would like to see all issues solved as soon as possible - no matter if it concerns an admin, moderator or any NOD32 user. In effect, there is no little guy.

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.