Why do you try different security applications/schemes?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Sully, Jan 23, 2011.

?

Why do you try different security software?

1. 1. To find the best possible protection - I don't care about the resources used, just the best secur

16 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. 2. To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible.

72 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. 3. I am a software junkie.

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

My security app experimenting days are largely behind me, save for the occasional virtual system and satisfying my curiosity about some apps. Regarding the 3 options, number 3 never really fit me. When I first started taking security seriously, number one was my priority. I had 3 AVs, 2 on demand and one resident. Had 2 firewalls running with a couple of the most twisted rulesets I've ever seen (I started with rule based firewalls). Must have had at least 6 anti-spyware, anti-trojan, etc installed. Had integrity checking for system files and folders, polling regularly. Had at least 2 apps monitoring my registry. My bootup times were exceeding 3 minutes. Sluggish didn't begin to describe my internet speed. The system was so loaded down I had to reboot every few hours. I was willing to tolerate all of this at the time. What finally killed this mess was some of the updates to the AVs. It was becoming very difficult to keep them from conflicting and to keep some of them limited to being "on-demand" only.

This all changed when I was introduced to default-deny and started testing Max's versions of System Safety Monitor. During this time, I found that Internet Explorer was the single largest vector exploited by malware. I stopped using, then started blocking its internet access and ability to run at all. Shortly afterwards, I started removing it, and began taking other steps to reduce the attack surface. I stopped using a resident AV during this time, keeping one manual scanner, which I stopped using about a year later.

In the end, I found that the methods that best secured my system were also the ones that used the least resources. My core security package hasn't changed in years and I see no reason to change it now. The rulesets for these apps have gradually evolved, but for the most part, what worked then still works now. It's just so much simpler to keep tract of the few apps you use than to try to keep up with hundreds of thousands pieces of malicious code. My system is so much more responsive when it's not checking every accessed file, process, etc against that giant database of undesirables. I've often wondered just how much hard drive wear can be attributed to AVs and their detection databases.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

3 but also 2 and 3. I am just interested in all the different security programs available. Today I installed BufferZone on my Mom's computer to see how well it works and if it interferes with her daily computer usage.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I just went through testing stuff on my laptop mainly to get the right balance between security and usability. The first try was a bit much and caused conflicts and crashes. I think I have a winner now however. :D

4. guest

guest Guest

To find the best protection I can that also has the lowest resource usage possible.

Which means nothing resident atm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
  5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I voted for option 2 but to that I would also add system stability and the ability to co-exist with other installed software without causing issues.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I like to experiment a lot but i also like to take a minimalistic approach. I always strive to use the least amount of apps while trying to cover all areas that i consider to be a risk to me.

7. progress

progress Guest

To find the best protection with the lowest resource usage :)

8. Eiso

Eiso Registered Member

Testing different security applications/schemes has become an enjoyable hobby for me, like a video game. The idea of finding the best and consistent protection to keep out malicious preying eyes from my professional work and life is much exciting.

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Junkie here. 'mazing. About 80% of respondents are in denial.

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I voted software junkie,because I already have the best security with least amount of resources.:D

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I believe 3 applies at least somewhat to all of us. That's why it's not enough for us to simply try to find that perfect balance of security/usability... but to talk about it with others who share this like-minded interest :-*

For me, 2 is definitely the goal. And honestly, I think I've found it as far as XP is concerned. Sandboxie was the missing piece of the puzzle. That + an imaging regimen = the core. Comodo is there because I like having that control. I often toy with the idea of getting rid of it to reclaim even more of my resources. I'm very confident that my system is & will remain clean, so I don't really "need" it. But that junkie in me (#3) likes to know everything that's going on.

Oh jeez... now I'm thinking about just going router/Sandboxie. Now just look what you did to me Sully. I'm a mess! ;)

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

As William Wallace would have said:

F R E E D O M ! !

Sul.

13. philby

philby Registered Member

Do it - you won't regret it... :)

No noise and solid, if you're careful.

philby

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Some...have so much Free Time to...around...:blink:

15. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I settled on my security software about 6 years ago and haven't changed since.

Before that- yes I tried many.

16. Dark Shadow

I am suprised I have not destroyed a pc yet from the installs, uninstalls,and some violent BSOD along the way.I think the worst was a couple yrs back when I had Vista and installed Drive sentry that borked my system bad.everytime it tried to boot it made a horriable clicking or snapping noise.Sound like a old car I had.

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I dont try new software,life is too short to be playing around on a PC all the time,get out,enjoy life!

Life is short,enjoy!

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Because I can. :D
    No seriously, what began as a quest to find the most secure setup after so many failed attempts has evolved into a sort of a hobby.
    I simply enjoy trying different setups.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Who do you think started it all in 2006 at this place. .:blink: ;)

with the same sig and locked up Wilders UBB software with to many avatar changes. lol

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yup, you da man. The original quick change artist.;)

21. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Software junkie lol...

22. Dark Shadow

You the king.:D

23. Dark Shadow

I enjoy it as well,its fun.

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i did not fill in the poll because i did not seem to fit anywhere in there.

for a lot of years, i dealt with malwares by reformatting and re-installing Windows.
    i did not do any sensitive transactions online so i did not care.

then i started doing banking online and my concerns increased.

first, i just wanted to be protected.
    then i became concerned with system resource usage.
    then, i tried to avoid security softwares/setups that got on my nerves. lol
    last stage was to try to find security apps that did not have an impact on convenience, and day to day workflow.

the list of suitable security apps and setups grew thinner and thinner... ;)

25. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Now that you guys invoked a bit of nostalgia/trivia, who was the dedicated Dr. Web believer when Wilders forum was worshipping NoD32 v2.7?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.