Why do you think Safari is gaining ground?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't know how accurate or even relevant these figures are, I know Chrome is the most popular browser in the UK now, it isn't hard to see why. Firefox has been slowly losing out over a while now, although it still has a huge fanbase. Opera's recent losses aren't that unpredictable, I'm not sure why it has never done as well as the others (although this could be a thread in itself). I'm just puzzled a tad why Safari is doing as well as it is. It's got some great features & I prefer it to IE, but I've never thought it really worked that smoothly on Windows. Maybe people are turning to Macs in a big way!

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The iPad/iPhone effect?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that and the fact apple has been known to install safari when you update itunes/quicktime.

4. Daveski17

Possibly, it's good contender.

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

chrome is second, not first :thumb:

and chrome advertises on UK television, firefox does not

6. Daveski17

It gives you the option to download Safari on update if you don't have it. That's how I got Safari 3 a while ago. It came in bloody useful though after the transition from Firefox 2 to 3 didn't originally go smoothly for me, & I couldn't open IE as it was having some odd clash with Yahoo! messenger & the UAC at the time, & wouldn't open. After that I decided to download & have a look at loads of other browsers. If Fx 3 would have been OK for me I would probably never looked at Opera or Iron.

7. Daveski17

OK, you're correct (I was thinking of non-IE browsers). I think Opera could well do with investing in a good marketing/advertising scheme, when they fix all those little bugs LOL!

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would think this. If Safari was the only browser I would have my internet disconnected.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Marketing is exactly what has held them back all these years. I wish I could get inside the heads of their department for just an hour or so, to see how they think or if they do think. There's not a thing (bugs aside) really wrong with that browser, but they treat it like a red-headed step child. As to Safari, I've never really got into it.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Because it's the best browser! ;) IMO of course!

Nah OK the latest version 5.1 isn't really as resource friendly as the previous versions but hopefully Apple will have the issues sorted in the next update.

11. Daveski17

Yeah, I just can't figure it either. I think that there are still internal management problems at Opera ASA. Either that or they're all on crack.

12. Daveski17

It works well on a Mac, anyway. But even on my Windows PC desktop running at 3.1 Ghz & 4 Gb of RAM it's a bit dodgy. I don't know why it is weird on Windows.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I use Safari on a "very" old Windows PC with AMD Athlon 2800+, 512MB RAM,
    ATI Radeon 9600 128MB RAM Graph etc... Just fine :)

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Intentional conspiracy perpetrated by the Imperial Overlord of Apple? :D

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Why would they commit time and effort into giving Windows users a great experience with their browser? They focus on updates that effect the platform it runs on.

Anyways, iPhones and iPads bump this number up considerably. And Safari on OSX is pretty good, it's had a major revamp of architecture and webkit 2.0 is pretty nice.

16. Daveski17

LOL! That's gotta be the case.

17. Daveski17

That must be where I'm going wrong with it then. The odd thing is that both cover-flow & top-sites work fairly well (very fast on my desktop) but sometimes I can brew a cuppa by the time a page takes time to load! Either way, I prefer it to IE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.