Why do some people (try to) avoid using AV software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

http://www.mechbgon.com/build/security2.html

That's one that was given to me, when I was asking your question. I'll find a couple more for you.

p.s. http://bulletproof-windows.blogspot.com/
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-security.html

Do you have Windows 7 x64?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Gee... just tried to look in on this thread...but it is heavy going! Sometimes...you just have to smile. :)

3. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Yeah, that's a good policy. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. icr

icr Registered Member

Hello members was out for sometime now just came back and saw this long thread:eek:

For me I don't use an AV software just for fun I like trying different things and so today I have a dedicated AV program and tomorrow I may not. And yeah BTW money does matters for me I am just a student and have other expenses so I refrain from buying any softwares. And even there are many giveaways so I rely on them. I have not read the entire thread so I may not fall in this discussions I just replied to this thread for the very reason that I might be one of very few members here that do not run any dedicated AV prog all the time:)

5. T_Durden

T_Durden Registered Member

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Hi irc. Missed your posts. Glad you're back. I'm the same way. HIPS or VM today with on demand AV and who knows tomorrow. I just get really hacked off when free AVs don't update ON MY TERMS(?).

Dave

7. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

just read a post on raymond's site stting antivirus slow down HD'S beause the read and write to it...but i think av will advise you on malicious sites..
    also running pc without av fells faster only adding sandboxie,so what will happen when you have to update windows?..if running only sandboxie.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed many Off Topic Posts.

It's refreshing to see that some members took the initiative to remove the personal comments from their posts, in order for this thread's topic to continue. Thank you all!

9. jonono

jonono Registered Member

Some of us prefer to surf without a leash in shark-infested waters, over coral reefs - this teaches us ultimate control over our boards & our water-skills,
    including conditioning our swimming skills when we do need to make that 1/2 mile swim back to shore during a severe wipeout [system crash/infection]

so, fully image-protected, sandboxed, processes & cruft trimmed from the system, no personal data accessible to any break-ins,
    then it [perhaps perversely?] becomes almost a game, a lark, a challenge, to surf the Edge "unprotected"
    [tho' not truly unprotected if you read the underlying message accurately]

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Why do some people (try to) avoid using AV software?

The answer is quite simple:

I don't feel I have any need for it.

I'm running Windows 7, using and administrators account with UAC disabled, and absolutely nothing at all other than the standard Windows 7 firewall to give me protection. I use absolutely nothing in the way of real time protection or block lists.

I do occasionally run scans with Malwarebye's. But that's all - I never do any scans with antivirus software.

And, perhaps surprisingly: 99% of time my computer stays uninfected.

I even regularly visit "unsafe" sites, but still my computer does not get infected.

My point is not a recommendation against using security software. This is something I do not recommend. But to be more specific, if you use common sense and are very careful about what you let install on your computer, then at least for the most part you can remain free of infections.

When I talk about being careful about what you install, I am not talking about only installing "trusted" software, as I install software just about every day from unknown or untrustworthy vendors. But what I am saying is for example if I click on a link to view a video and wants to download software rather than viewing the video, I will never download and install the software unless I know it is safe, as opposed to being some malware which will be installed on your system, while in return you will never get to see the promised video.

11. roger_m

To put my last post in context, I remain somewhat surprised that some of the posters here (even though they are much more aware of security issues then the average PC user) are so vigilant and concerned about doing every single thing they can to protect their PCs. And also, for example are always looking at test results to find thr current "best" antivirus.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Roger, I am pretty much of the same mind, however, I do take one precaution and set myself up with LUA/DEP and leave UAC enabled. Win 7 makes this so easy to live with now, it's amazing... no hassle at all. And although I don't worry either, it does further limit any potential risks...

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Malwarebytes' certainly doesn't catch everything, protection is definitely better than cure. Blacklists may be ineffective, but default-deny whitelist and virtualization certainly aren't. Also most av's nowadays use heuristics because malware is getting smarter.

Infections these days are very sneaky and the risks of legitimate sites being compromised is growing.

Tell me, how do you know that you aren't infected?

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

How do you know this isn't a dream?

15. roger_m

Certainly, and I don't expect it to. However, I do find the detection rate to be very good indeed.

While I do agree with you, I am not protected and for the most part, I don't get infected.

Because I keep a very close watch on what is going on with my computer. For example I look for unknown processes running and new startup items.

Also, because I know a lot about malware including removing it, I'm not at all paranoid about getting infected. Because, in the very rare case I do get infected, I am always able to completely remove the infection without having to restore my system from backups or an image file.

16. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I'm with ya roger 100% , I was thinking to do that as well, but there is one simple reason that made me not to do that :
    I really don't feel any drag or slowdown of any kind, seriously .. any thing that would force me to uninstall sec.setup from sig.

But surely if some problem arise with it (which I doubt at this point) , I'll join your setup, actually I was talking about exactly same setup in other topic yesterday :)

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Better safe than sorry cocky know-it-all :rolleyes:

@roger_m:
    I see, thanks for explaining. Should be fine if you do that.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It certainly helps to know a lot about malware to the extent of being able to remove it. Relatively few people have this kind of knowledge and therefore the use of a scanner (active or not) is the only way to ascertain its existence.

Removing malware is another hot potato. I personally don't trust any scanner to do so completely, therefore imaging/sandboxing/virtualization is the most important aspect not only towards external security, but my own configuration mistakes.

Personally I don't think to get infected is such a big deal, but my confidence and yours is determined by the knowledge of knowing what to do in just about any contingency.

The thread topic is a no-brainer. 100 million Avira users + 100 million Avast users + the growing number of MSE users are evidence that AV usage is well integrated in our cyber culture.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hahaha... Relax JL. Just a little humor for the situation..... You asked a silly question, and got a silly answer.... :)

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I know that, but the words just match a horrible experience I've had.. Sorry about that.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My apologies also if I hit a nerve or was out of line.... Those horrible experiences are something we can do without eh? :)

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Agreed :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.