Why do people dislike Ubuntu so much?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I don't get it as well. OO/LO are awesome, I can't see a reason why people would pay for MSO.

I risk to say that Microsoft wants to push MSO to Linux because they see GNU/Linux as a threat at the moment. There are many reasons why they would want to do it, but it's hard to think in one of them.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

One could say the same for Acrobat (though no clear replacement for Pro, bunch of alternatives shown in Google) and Photoshop (GIMP).

They're still not the exact same though, and old habits die hard. But I would give the alternatives a better chance than waiting for those software on Linux.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Some users either need absolute compatibility for Microsoft's formats or they prefer the UI. The difference between a ribbon-type and menu-based UI is huge.

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I don't like subscription based softwares.

5. oliverjia

because 1: MS Office is the de-facto standard in document processing;
    and 2: format compatibility with your co-worker, etc

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

You can achieve compatibility between MSO and LO without buying MSO.
    Libre Office saves documents from Microsoft Word 97 to Microsoft Word 2010 with no problem.
    No excuse.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Neither do I. Furthermore due to privacy concerns I will no longer support Microsoft or Google and Im trying to dump Apple.

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

if you are ms office big fan try kingsoft office as well on ubuntu see the difference its not 100% but still woow kinda experience in some places even better than ms office

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kingsoft-office.html

9. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The restricted extras contain the MS true type fonts for OO/LO office suites as well.

-http://askubuntu.com/questions/199594/ubuntu-restricted-extras-after-install-ubuntu-12-04

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

It's not like some fonts will restrict your privacy, you know :D
    And too bad Ubuntu doesn't let you select the font. There's the ttf-freefont on Arch Linux that will produce basically the same results as some of the MS ttf and is licensed under GPL.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/ttf-freefont/

11. oliverjia

Thanks.
    yes I also heard good things about kingsoft office. it does not appear to have a native 64bit version yet. Also it does not support saving in docx format yet. Hope they'll solve these minor "issues" soon. Then I'll definitely give it a try.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but actually no, some documents created in Word will not format properly in LibO or OO on the screen nor printed due to the complexity of the document formatting etc. So in some instances, MS Word is mandatory for full compatibility. LibO/OO attempt to achieve that, but they fall short in some situations. I have seen it personally many time in business documents etc. For very basic home needs however, LibO or OO are fine.

13. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Can you tell me how to reproduce this?

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, not technically. Just gather a bunch of complicated business documents created in various verisons of Word, and you'll encounter it. It's actually quite common, and well known.

15. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

16. SnowFall

SnowFall Registered Member

Cus the GUI sucks, replace it with win98 GUI and it be happening :D

17. oliverjia

Unity (set launch pad to auto hide)+ Cairo Dock, how's that? I think its pretty neat.

Attached Files:

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't see the point of 2 docks, same for adding those OS X replicas on Windows 7+.

19. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Note that Unity dock is hidden so you never see it. As for the bottom dock, well some people do like OS X style dock. Same goes for KDE, some people do like Windows style dock.
    As for me, I actually discovered Unity to be superior to both. Having wide screen laptop and a dock at the bottom is a huge disadventage on space. Unity nicely intergrates menus into the top bar and places the dock on the side reducing the annoying wide screen that became so popular in the past 10 years or so.

20. oliverjia

very well said.

I like the menu-integrate-into-topbar feature provided by Unity, which will produce some more usable vertical space. Also the bottom dock will also auto hide by default when a windows overlaps it, therefore you don;t have to lose vertical screen space.

I have a 2560x1440 screen so space is not really a concern for me. However, with the auto-hide feature of the dock, you never lose displaying space once you have windows overlap the dock, because the dock will then disappear. Move your mouse over it's original position and it will reappear.
    Very nice feature IMHO.

21. oliverjia

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

True, but getting used to the native dock or hacking into it is more worthwhile in my opinion than freeing up time and resources for a new program to install/manage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.