Why do people dislike Ubuntu so much?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Done a lot for Linux as a whole. Far from a disgrace.

Compared to what ?
    I find it comparable to other full desktop distros such as Debia, Mint or Suse running KDE or Gnome.
    Not like you are stuck with Unity either.

Yet you choose Arch which is less user friendly ?!?

Have to agree with you if you are referring to Amazon search, should not be enable by default. Atleast its easy to disable/remove.

Compared to what ? Never had a performance issues and I run a 6 year old laptop as my main device. Never seem any benchmarks or measurements that show any significant performance difference to other major desktops or distros. And our own in-house benchmarks show there is minimal difference between Ubuntu, Debian an Redhat for our server duties.

Mir - can't judge yet as its not released/finished.
    Unity IMHO was a good choice long term, giving the community another choice of Desktop.

User can pick a minimal/server install and pick what they need.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Yet you use Arch which is 2nd worst installation process I have experienced after Gentoo.

Never these had that issues in 6 years. Some people do seem to get all the bad luck with any distro though !

Cinnamon is nice, never been a fan of mint tools. Don't like the fact that some as GUI only, so when Cinnamon broke and I had to use apt from the command line to upgrade to a fixed version, it caused breakages as it installed packages that mint-update deliberatively held back.

Need to compare apples to apples, Debian stable against LTS, Debian testing against normal versions Ubuntu and in the whole they are very comparable based on our experience of using both Debian and Ubuntu.

Benchmarks with similarly configured systems, only claims about fast I have seen are due to installing far less software, which you can do with from a minimal/server install anyhow.

If you want to learn, Ubuntu allows you to tinker under the hood as well.
    Arch community is good, IMHO ubuntuforums noisey. Askubuntu is a step in the right direction.

Shove, waste money, what are you referring to ?

2. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

I agree with that. Unity won't even run in my 1 GB VMs; Arch with xfce runs within 300-400 MB having firefox open with multiple tabs; Manjaro Gnome3 runs within 700 MB with firefox, chromium and midori running simultaneously.

Yes, Ubuntu is bloated: Ubuntu One, Ubuntu Music et al. You can't compare it with others like Debian. A standard Debian stable installation comes with a very minimum set of softwares: without even full libreoffice.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I don't dislike Ubuntu - I currently use a LiveUSB Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS which is more stable and will be supported until April 2017 - so, I don't have to continually upgrade to new versions every 6 months like I used to do.

I could and have tried selecting the Classic mode (by logging out and logging in again to select it), but since I simply create a Terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T after bootup, I just ignore Unity - and this works for me as it is a simple approach.

I tolerate the look-like-a-Mac UI with the sidebar, but occasionally use Dash to find things like Synaptic Package Manager, Disk Utility, and even Calculator at times. After boot, I run my own setup that I have adapted to do a number of things I have been doing for years now which include things like using gconf-editor to set the button layout over to the right-hand-side where it belongs in Linux.

I suppose I could trim some packages from the ISO and cut a new USB flash drive to gain more useable free space in RAM, but I already have 8GB so it is not an issue.

-- Tom

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Just wondering if you install guest additions to get 3D acceleration as using llvmpipe is real slow through Vbox.

Cheers, Nick.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

No. It's userbase did it for Canonical, who is a parasite of Debian. Still a disgrace.

I'm talking about Ubuntu. Maybe Kubuntu is a little better, but still nothing compared to Debian, openSUSE, Arch.

Ubuntu is slower than Windows Vista, all because of Unity.
    A distro that will present you with tty1 after installing the video drivers is not user fiendly. A distro that will break on a Kernel upgrade isn't friendly. Yes, I'm talking about Ubuntu.

I chose Arch because of freedom, speed, customization, learning curve.

Today is a little spy-add feature that Canonical put there on purpose and didn't tell anybody about it. Tomorrow might be worse, who knows what Canonical is willing to do.
    I can't see why people trust Canonical after this.

Ubuntu is the slowest by far, specially when users are running Unity. You can see the difference when even Windows 8 runs faster on VirtualBox, while Ubuntu crashes my whole machine, including the virtual one.
    You'll notice a great performance improvement if you jump from Ubuntu to Arch.

Linux has a lot of duplicate of effort, that reason Nº 800 of "Why Linux Sucks". If Canonical decided to improve Wayland they'd do much better. But no, they have to create a new display server that almost nobody is willing to support. Yeah, smart idea, huh?

There was no reason to create Unity as well, it was buggy and bad when it launched, and yet at this days it's "kind of dumb" when you can't even pin launchers to the side bar. But I guess they couldn't put the spyware on KDE or GNOME, thus they felt the need to create Unity.

Yeah, now where's the newbie friendly distro? :eek:
    I'll look more into that.

Clearly Arch isn't for you and you don't know the target audience of Arch, whic is "competent Linux users".

I work with GIMP, it's my bacon-bringer. I've been working with 2.8 for several months and when I installed Ubuntu 12.04 it had only the version 2.6. Ubuntu's packages are mostly outdated since they think they're going to be more stable that way. At some point it is the case, but mostly the stable upstream software (as intended by the developers) are as stable as the ones Canonical decides do keep. So either stay with a very outdated Distro or upgrade to a newer one and have less support time.

You NEVER had a kernel breakage on Ubuntu? For how long have you been using it, 5 days?

Oh, you had to use the command line? How could they do this to you?? ='(

Can you tell me which version of Cinnamon that was? I didn't use Mint for very long but I could see a lot of improvements over Ubuntu, which tends to release things when they're half finished.

You don't know what you're talking about. Ubuntu LTS is mainly developed from Debian Testing. Regular Ubuntu is developed in a combo of Debian Testing and Debian Unstable. The difference is that Debian developers know what they're doing.

Which won't give most users a usable distro anyway since they're going to have to do more tweaking than usual. That's the problem with Ubuntu, it tries so hard to be friendly that most users will never use the 72+ apps that come with it, and will notice a great speed gain if they used Arch because you can build Arch to be YOUR distro, and not "everybody's distro".

Ubuntu only allows tinkering after install, which I disprove since you must agree with everything that comes with it.
    For the record, I don't think Linux should only be usable by "more experienced" users, I think Linux should attend to everybody's needs. The problem is that it comes with problems such as I already mentioned here. Ubuntu used to be good, it was good until 10.04. But then Canonical decided to do suspicious actions.

Shove Mir on it's users, a display server that almost nobody will give support to, meaning that we'll again see a change that will make Ubuntu unusable (on a gaming POV) for perhaps more than a year. Unity was slow, buggy as hell, when it came on Ubuntu 11. It took them one year to make it stable.

Waste money on Unity and Mir, for example. Why create Unity? Why duplicate the effort?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Ubuntu on VBox is the worst thing you can do.

I installed Debian 7.1 here this year, and it came with a lot of software, don't know what you're talking about :D

Debian ships with 10 DVD's, and the DVD1 comes with a LOT of software. IIRC there *is* full Libre Office.

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Guest additions aren't required by any other distro I have here, unless I want to run some heavy 3D app. The problem is with Unity.

8. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

I am talking about CD images. DVD images are always going to be bloated because they have everything worth installing as the space permits.

By the way, Arch is not anywhere near stable than Ubuntu LTS and also not user-friendly.

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yes, the CD of Debian is very stripped.

Arch is more stable and reliable than any Ubuntu you put on the table.

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

questions formatted like this are like "have you stopped beating your dog?"

either a yes or no makes you guilty.:D

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's my impression that some Linux geeks dislike how Canonical has pushed Ubuntu maninstream, and how it's changed Ubuntu in the process. Generally, in becoming more-and-more friendly for new users, Ubuntu has become less-and-less friendly for experienced users, with many settings locked down and limited. The appearance of advertising in the Search Button and Ubuntu Software Center are also gross.

12. x942

x942 Guest

I am normally a Fedora/OpenSuse user but I don't dislike ubuntu. Ubuntu has two uses for me right now:

1) Development (Android Open Source Project all but requires Ubunutu)

2) Touch screen. Unity is AMAZING on tablets. I use it on my Acer W700 (Intel i3) tablet. Works better than any operating system I have every used on a tablet. Even onboard (the touch keyboard) works terrifically.

Outside of those two uses I use Fedora/OpenSuse as my Daily machine and Arch for super light weight projects on my Raspberry Pi.

Every distro has it's place. I mean I had my Parents using Ubuntu. That goes to show conical did a good job at user friendly!

13. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

There are no shortage of distros available for those who like to tinker under the hood of the O/S.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Only on the GUI level. You still have everything under the hood.
    But this is true for any Linux.
    Mrk

15. mirimir

I'm sure that's true.

But major hacking and slashing may be required, right? Maybe when you're done, you don't have "Ubuntu" any longer?

16. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

frankenbuntu?

17. mirimir

:)

I'm feeling especially frustrated with Network Manager. And on Crunchbang, not even Ubuntu etc. It's very convenient when it works. But once you try anything fancy, it reacts unpredictably, and figuring out what happened is nontrivial (for me, anyway).

On the other hand, I have not figured out how to load custom ip route/rule configurations at unattended boot :( Running bash scripts works, but requires root rights.

Now I understand Linus Torvalds' rant about networking in Debian :)

18. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

That's why I love the command line ;)

19. mirimir

The only reliable way for command line to protect against Network Manager is:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager network-manager-gnome

20. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Sorry, I don't use Ubuntu so I can't talk about that. I was explicitly referring to that actual quote of yours, which is true in some cases :)

21. Ubuntu LTS are pretty good if you ask me. 12.04.3 works very well...

If I need to use the command line I have a USB key with text files with all the command line commands written down if I need to tweak Ubuntu.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ditto for me too. I'm running 12.04.3 here also and it's great. They cleaned up some issues in the original 12.04 release that gave me problems, now all is well. Very nicely done and polished too.

I think it all boils down to whether one likes or accepts Unity or not for Ubuntu, although as some have mentioned, you can install other DE's if you want, or go with the other Ubuntu alternatives.

I like it as is.... :)

23. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Unity is not bad at all nowadays, especially with the search box, provided you disabled all the shopping suggestions. You can set the launch panel to autohide if you don't like seeing it all the time. Then install Cairo dock and set it to auto start, then you are good to go. Very neat and high efficient desktop for me. Now the only things I hope is for Adobe acrobat, PS and MS Office to go to Linux - yeah I know it's a wild dream now but who knows in the future.

24. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

If MS office comes it will be subscribtion based just like the one on iPad.

25. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

MS Office? Why would you want that?? We have Open\Libre Office :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.