Why didn't True Image delete any backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BackedUpToTheWall, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackedUpToTheWall

BackedUpToTheWall Registered Member

I have rules set to keep no more than 3 backups and the log validates that, yet, although the log said it deleted 2 backups, it did not.

I am new to the product. HELP!

1 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:54 AM The "Daily Differential Backup" operation started
    2 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:56 AM Analyzing partition 0-0...
    3 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:56 AM Analyzing partition C:...
    4 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:57 AM Analyzing partition E:...
    5 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:57 AM Analyzing partition 0-0...
    6 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:57 AM Analyzing partition F:...
    7 Warning! 9/20/2008 8:44:57 AM Priority changed to Low priority
    8 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:57 AM Analyzing partition C:...
    9 Information 9/20/2008 8:44:58 AM Create Differential Backup Archive From: NTFS (C:) To: F:\True Image\ Compression: Maximum
    10 Information 9/20/2008 8:45:00 AM Pending operation 131 started: "Creating partition image"
    11 Information 9/20/2008 8:45:00 AM Locking partition C:...
    12 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:20 AM Pending operation 128 started: "Saving partition structure"
    13 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Check for 'number of backups' rule violation is started. Set number: 3
    $module="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Fomatik\Backup.dll"
    14 Warning! 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM 'Number of backups' rule violation is detected. Maximum allowed: 3 Current number: 5
    15 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Archive computer .closed
    16 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Check for the 'backup location quota' rule violation is started. Set quota: 324,760,409,347
    17 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Archive computer .closed
    18 Warning! 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Quota violation is detected. Set quota: 324,760,409,347 Current capacity: 378,824,150,016
    19 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Check for 'backup age' rule violation is started. Set age: 31,536,000,000
    20 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM No violation is detected. The following rule was checked: by backup age
    21 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Archive computer .closed
    22 Warning! 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM There is no action available to take against the limit violation. Limit rule: by backup count. By default, the 'delete' action will be used.
    23 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Archive computer .closed
    24 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Trying to fix limit violation: by backup count.
    25 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Archive computer .closed
    26 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:21 AM Archive computer .closed
    27 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    28 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    29 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Deletion is started. Rule: by backup count Number of backup will be deleted: 2
    30 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    31 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    32 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    33 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    34 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    35 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Backup deletion Location: atis:folder?file:F:\True Image\ Number of backups: 2
    36 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Archive computer .closed
    37 Error 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Enumerator is invalid.
    38 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Backup Archive Validation Location: F:\True Image\
    39 Information 9/20/2008 10:23:22 AM Pending operation 3 started: "Verifying backup archive"
    40 Information 9/20/2008 3:35:21 PM Operation has succeeded.

2. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

New to the product myself and I'm having the exact same issue with TI11. The logs show a quota violation and that it's taking action, but the backups are not deleted. Opened a case with support on 9/24 and still have not received a response.

Honestly, I'm starting to think we both should have browsed these forums before purchasing TruImage 11. It sure would have changed my mind.

3. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Are you both using 'backup location' for the destination of your images?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Given the log above, the target is a Backup Location (in the formal ATI sense) but an error occurs when it tries to delete. The Operation Succeeded appears to apply only to the backup and/or verification.

Sorry I can't say why the deletions are failing.

5. craig__1

craig__1 Registered Member

I seem to have the same issue. Running on Vista.

Where did you find errors about even attempting to delete old backups? I just run out of space, and can find no indication it even considers using the quota rues I have defined. I opened a ticket with acronis, and it was escalated Sept 18. I haven't gotten any responses from support since, despite repeated emails and attempts at telephoning.

6. MrMorse

That seems to be the initiate error.

Here is the same problem with some hints: Click

7. roger888

roger888 Registered Member

Having just finished an extensive series of email exchanges with Tech Support, I have concluded that the answer is, it simply doesn't work. ATI will not delete old backups.

Just for the record, I have the latest build (8101 of ATI Home 11.0); I have uninstalled and reinstalled; I am using backup locations properly; I have deleted and recreated my backup location in a different place; I have the schedule set up properly; all my archives validate properly; I've run the AcronisReport utility and Tech Support confirm that the partition structures are all fine.

It just doesn't work.

Given all the other problems which users have discussed on this forum, I suggest that Acronis need to take a long hard look at this product. I certainly shan't be upgrading to 2009 in the near future.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

IN ATI 12/2009 they did away with Backup Locations and handle limits directly thorugh the Task. In doing so, they stripped out some valuable functionality but it might mean the ATI12/2009 might work for where 11 did not (11 really was a sorry excuse for a commerically available program).

Then again, if you never got your money's worth with 11 or a refund, then maybe Acronis doesn't deserve you money but it might be worth trying if you haven't found another more acceptable backup solution. Anyway, you can try it for "free" -- all you lose is your time and effort.

9. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

roger, I'm impressed that you actually exchanged emails with support. I've gotten one email, and a reply on this forum. That's it. I came to that same conclusion, it just doesn't work. Honestly, I'm more pissed at myself that I didn't check the TI forums before purchasing than I am anything else. Ghost even works better than this piece of garbage.

Either way, I just purchased TI11 in August, so I'll have to make do for now. I'll probably write a script to delete the old backup and run it before the backup. Once I get it written and tested I'll post it out here for others to use. Even if Acronis isn't willing to help, we can still help each other out. Maybe someone has already written one. If anyone finds anything post it here.

10. roger888

Update:

My original problem (ATI failing to delete old backups when size limits were reached) occurred when backing up to an external WD drive connected by USB.

Following further interaction with tech support, I was advised "It is always advisable not to schedule a task in an external USB/Firewire drive".

I created a new backup location on my hard drive, with a very small maximum size. I set up a new task, backing up a small directory. I ran the task enough times to reach the size limit. ATI successfully deleted old backups to make space.

So it seems that the software *does* do its job, but *doesn't* do its job when backing up to an external USB drive.

I have asked for further explanation. I'll post any response in due course.

11. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

You're kidding, correct? That's the whole point of backups. To put them on external media. What good does a backup do you if it's sitting on an internal failed hard drive. Not to mention the fact that each subsequent backup system image is going to take up more space because it's including that backup directory in the next image.

I guess it's nice to know that the application "works", but Acronis telling you that it's "not always advisable" to backup to a USB drive is a complete joke. Is this case closed for you, or are they still working the issue?

Still no reply on my case by the way. I sent the logs a week ago and haven't heard anything since.

12. roger888

They're still working the case. I'll post any further explanation. But as you say the entire point (as far as I'm concerned) is to backup to an external drive which can be stored safely and separately.

13. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

Thanks, because that this point, I'm working this case vicariously through you. Thanks for being the middle man on this one...:)

14. EddieA

EddieA Registered Member

Or to a Network drive.

Cheers.

15. PBTech

PBTech Registered Member

Acronis secure zone What?? What the hell is this when a drive fails like mentioned?You have no back up to restore!,Use a external drive should be mentioned in their instructions,Gee maybe they should include a drive to retore to in the box, For all their knowledge they give you ,you will end up missing all your important info on your drive.Good one Acronis :D :D

16. PeterR

PeterR Registered Member

I had the same problem with ATI 8101 failing to delete backups, also. It was to an internal 500GB, so the problem is not limited to external drives. I replaced the drive with a larger one about 2 weeks ago, and so far ATI has been deleting old files OK. It is a little early to tell for sure if it is working, since there have only been 1 or 2 times that it needed to do any deleting, but so far so good.

I wonder if the problem had to do with the old drive being nearly full. Yes, my quota in ATI was low enough that there would still be room for ATI to make a new full and/or consolidate an old differential without filling the disk but still exceeding the quota. And I never got any disk full errors. But either the extra space on the new disk allows ATI to delete, or just replacing one internal disk with another somehow helped. The old and the new disks were both in the Seagate 7200.11 series, so the hardware change wasn't that great. I made no other changes to Vista or ATI, just the hardware swap, and it started working. Or maybe it worked once or twice, but could still go bad.

17. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

What I don't understand is that the log files acknowledge the quota or number of backup has been exceeded, and then states the delete action is being taken, but it doesn't delete anything. I purchased a larger USB drive and created a new location and new rules last week. Tonight's backup should exceed the threshold. There is plenty of available space on this new disk so I guess we'll see what happens.

18. Bogene2020

Bogene2020 Registered Member

Yeah .. I get the error that the disk is full .. I guess Acronis is not deleting any old archives. I am using XP with an external U.S.B WD drive .

How do I delete the archives .. I have it set for incremental backups .. Does it do full backups during the course of doing incrementals ..

I dont see the option to manually delete archives . I guess its ok to delete archives from August ? Thanks

Attached Files:

19. MrMorse

No. You need ALL incremental backup-TIBs based on the last fullbackup.
    If you delete a TIB file within the sequence you destroy the whole backup.

Note:
    I see no reason to create so many 'incrementals' like you do.
    Normaly you create a fullbackup, then up to 5 incrementals and then a new full backup...and so on.
    If your disk becomes full I would delete the last Full with his Incs.

In your case I would delete all Incrementals and the last full (with the windows explorer) and create a new full. After that I would follow my own suggestion with max. 5 Incrementals.

20. Bogene2020

Bogene2020 Registered Member

Thanks .. but how do I make it create only 5 incrementals at a time .. Is there a setting the lets it do the sequence of 1 full then 5 incrementals .

Thanks Again

21. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Bogene,

Download the text file. Change the type or number of backups but the procedure is there.

Create and Configure Backup Locations Incremental.txt by CatFan432
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172470#13

Actual download
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=189433&d=1177754188
    Vers 11 User Manual on Backup Locations
    Chapter 3.5 and Chapter 8
    Note particulary the last paragraph under Ch 3.5 Setting rules for backup locations which reads:
    "When creating a backup task, be sure to select the backup location from the Backup
    Locations list, near the top of the directory tree. Doing so will enable the above processing
    of backups. If you select a backup location as a normal folder, the processing will not be
    performed." ​

22. roger888

ATI won't work properly (deleting old backups) with an external USB drive. Just received this from tech support:

"Please note that the possible reason to this is the "plug-and-play" device driver where Acronis True Image is unable to interact with a USB/Firewire device properly.

Please be sure that our Developement Tean is aware of this situation and working on to fix it on priority basis.

I would advise you to schedule a task on an internal drive instead of an external drive. "

Ha! So they suggest I backup my internal hard drive... to my internal hard drive. That'll do the trick.

23. oldtimercurt

oldtimercurt Registered Member

I'm running latest build of version 11. I returned to 11 after buying (still waiting for refund Acronis) version 12/2009. I have been able to run daily FULL IMAGE backups to an external WD USB drive. Acronis follows the backup number limitation well and deletes the oldest after the new one exceeds the number limit. Perhaps the problem is generated if you use incrementals. As I recall, I tried that and the deletion didn't work. I think full image is the way to go unless you just don't have the space.

OTC

24. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

This is my next step. Believe it or not, TI did actually recognize the number of backups rule violation on Friday night, and took the appropriate action. Then it completely blew it off Saturday night and created a backup in violation of the location rule. I have space to run a handful of full backups. I'm going to try that out and see what happens.

At this point, I think they've moved on from TI11. It was an incomplete product in the first place, but I don't anticipate a real resolution on this issue. From what I understand, 2009 is just as flawed as this release so their efforts will probably be focused on that product.

25. dpg70

dpg70 Registered Member

Thanks Grover. My diff backup is configured pretty close to this what is outlined in this document. Do you know if TI actually ever "deletes" anything? Does it ever actually delete older backups, or is everything handled via consolidation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.