Why did you choose your username?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by dog, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    A little explanation -
    Now....the story.

The Q Section of HMSS has the mission to provide the necessary tools for the field operatives to properly carry out their mission. The tools provided do not include Information Gathering. This is the exclusive task of the I Section. It is the I Section which manages the Electronic Mission of HMSS. So.....we here in Q Section could go down the hall and make an inquiry as to the best xyz programme etc. however they are always usually extremely busy and we could not hope to even obtain such a chance to make such inquiries, especially these days.

Therefore we go online here and elsewhere to make our own un-official inquiries about such things. This information is used strictly for our test computer which is not used for any mission-critical work. It really serves as an adjunct for our Section only.

As to the 'we'.....many of us here have interest in these computer programmes and at various times one staff member goes online to ask a question or to render some small assistance to someone (in a forum). Then at some other time a different staff member goes online and gives/receives assistance. We all share what we have learned and hence the 'we'. We had decided it would be better for our Section's protocol to only have one user name - for security purposes, you see. Sometimes a Q Section staffer is in the field making a query from a field office and sometimes another gives assistance from HQ. For purposes of security we simply use one username and share the information with each other.

This is merely a representation of our beloved Chief of Q Section (some call it Branch). Unfortunately he passed away just a few short years ago but he shall be forever in our hearts. For some additional details we refer you to a question submitted and answered:

Q: Is there really an MI6 with a Q branch?

A: Well, there really is an MI6 or, Secret Intelligence Service, and it is very secret indeed. Unlike its American counterpart, SIS does not go out of its way to promote or even acknowledge its own existence. Thus, while everybody in London knows of its rather ostentatious Thames-side location-the Firm, as insiders call it, prefers to remain as anonymous as possible: a truly secret service. As for a "Q Branch", perhaps the closest real-life counterpart would be MI6's school for sabotage and demolition at Fort Monkton, Gosport, near Portsmouth, Hampshire. Incidentally, the Q in Q Branch stands for "quartermaster", an adaptation of the British Army's "Q Staff", the department charged with procurement of supplies and matériel. A real-life "Q", the late Charles Fraser-Smith, crafted a variety of small gadgets and special devices for both MI6 and the Special Operations Executive during World War II. (SOE had been spun off from the sabotage and demolition section of MI6 itself.) His devices included spy cameras hidden in cigarette lighters, maps concealed in smoking pipes, and secret writing gear concealed in shoe heels.

And now several of us here in Q Section have a keen interest in computer security for our testing computer. It is used for non-official purposes, you see, so we have come to this forum to gain insight on exactly how to do it and possibly be of some little service to others.

We are very limited in our ability to answer questions from the general public so we hope this little explanation helps!

Be seeing you........

2. 808chick

808chick Registered Member

Ahh, an easy question! ;)
    808=the whole state of Hawaii having just one area code :p
    chick=cuz I am

:cool:

3. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

Well, this is both fun and informative! Although lots of folks think I'm of the gentler sex 'cuz of my username, I'm all male! NanDog comes from my Siberian Husky, Nanda. Her full AKC name is Nanda Devi von Hochschnee but she's just Nanda, Nandy or the Nanster to me!

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

[MOVE]Call the Pound/Animal Control Centre[/MOVE]

There are waaaaaaaaay too many party animals in here....

Let's see:

At least 2 Dogs; 1 Fox; 1 Cat; 1 Rabbit and 1 Tas Devil :D

okie... well, I used to love the looney tunes cartoons of The Wabbit [aka Bugs bunny] and the TassieDevil, and when I was trying to think up a nick, I suddenly thought of my aggressive animal friend, the Tasmanian Devil "hairball with teeth" as Blazey calls me. Hence Tassie_Devils :cool:

LOL... yep.. also when you "slam" your drink down. drink as quick as you can.

Cheers, TAS

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Bumped for Ritaann :D

Cheers :D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey optigrab
    id forgotten that movie till you mentioned it--it was extremly funny--one of steve martins best.have a good day
    Rita :)

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Nadirah
    always wondered about your name when i saw your posts--now its good to know :D
    good day to you
    Rita

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

i like danceswithbaldeagles alot :D

Rita

10. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

It seemed to fit when I first visited. :rolleyes: But not anymore!! :D

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

fitting here too in wv for about 3 months--when i was a wee thing you didnt see the ground from oct. till april for the tons of snow :D
    good day to you
    Rita

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Same here! :D

Things have changed a lot over the years(47 of them) and the winter season has gotten a lot shorter.

Not that i mind of course. ;)

snowbound(in about 4 months) :p

13. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

just a little bit of zen

14. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Snow? What's snow?? About 6-7 years ago we had a freak overnight dusting here that left 4-6 inches on the ground for an appreciable period of time. Folks went nuts, rolling around in the stuff @ 4:00 in the morning & calling everyone they knew to spread the word. Employees called into work saying they were afraid to drive & would be late. (Probably just building snow men & snow women in the back yard...) You'd have thought little green men landed down @ city hall!

We're obviously a little weather-spoiled in SoCal.... :cool: :cool:

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Damn I like my women "Dazed and Confused", that's it, no chance for you now, once they are smart they escape... ;) :D

LMAO

Cheers :D

16. tImEwArP

tImEwArP Guest

Well because i'm really from the future, but i'm stuck here in the past as a sort of lesson, and until i help enough people on the Wilders forum, i can't move on to the actual time period that i came from.

17. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Well. being 5'4 & 8/15ths" tall (using a laser ruler), I though it a fitting name.

big ed

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

NAMOR is a comic book character I liked as a kid (Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner).

19. meneer

meneer Registered Member

My username is just the plain old Dutch language word for mister. It's got noting to do with menure or being meaner, just meneer will do.
    I used to have an internet domain with e-mail addresses for me and my wife (mevrouw). The domain has long since vanished, just like the e-mail addresses, but monopolising such a common word is common practice too, so I decided to use it in other places :)

O, and I decided to pick a fitting avatar. Being a mister, one with a tie seems appropriate.

20. quack(s)

quack(s) Registered Member

a time honored moniker given to naval flight surgeons!

btw dazed . . . is that ur real pic :p ?

21. chew

chew Registered Member

Because everyone call me Chew :eek:.

But errmm ... then sometime Chew degenerates into Chewbacca, Chewie, Chew the tobacco, Chew Chew train, etc.,

That's how it is now. Just Chew :D. But you can call me anything you like so long as I know you're calling me.

22. 2dazed

2dazed Registered Member

Not only did I try to pick a name that no one else would have, tho I've had this name 4 2 yrs. now, but also tried to pick one that fit. I'm a Leo, & have different likes, etc. Also different personalities. I'm often misunderstood, which ends up in time spent explaining myself. Which is plum silly. So, my name is 2dazed. :cool:

23. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

Etsnuffy- Et for East Tennessee and Snuffy for one of my favorite cartoon characters- Snuffy Smith.

24. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:) A long time ago, in a galaxy, far far away...
    No! seriously, someone saved my soul and took me to a place I've never been. Her real name is Vairkjosa but since every english version was taken way back when, I added the 001 and dropped the E.
    Moral of the story... I'm in love with my wife. Still!! You can't pronounce her name in Norse either. :D :D

25. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

:rolleyes: Tried to use my firstname first, but it was taken.
    As I've two boys, Elwyn (11 months) & Darwin (4 years), I chose to make a new username from it. Besides it's easy to remember. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.