Why bother with a Windows XP password if you use admin account all the time?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Devinco, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Certainly a Limited User Account offers higher security and then an admin password is important.

But, why bother with a password if you use admin account all the time?
    To active malware or hackers on the computer a password won't make any difference.
    To a hacker with physical access, a password won't make a difference.

The only reason I can think of is to stop casual usage of the computer by your kids or co-workers. Like when you step away from the computer and you press [Win]+L.

Are there any other reasons why one should use a password if you use admin all the time?
    Just to increase your false sense of security?

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I mainly use a password since I use openssh on my windows pc. I need a password to ensure that a hacker cannot get access to my pc without any effort at all.

in addition, it is nice for casual use when you are gone for your pc for about ten minutes, to get a drink or something, then come back. No one has probably had enough time to screw up your pc, so it gives a little bit of security. however, it someone has enough time, nothing is secure, only encryption can help you out there.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

There you have it. I use admin because I dont want to bother about password when I do all the stuff you need to do as admin, and basicly most of the things I do require admin status.
    I am very aware of what is happening in my computer so I dont bother much about malware (which is really hard to get infected by anyway, atleast I have not managed to get infected with those "myths" in many years ;) )

4. Devinco

Hi Alphalutra1,

Openssh uses your windows admin password?

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

It uses the password of the account I want to log into, which is the administrator ;)

Alphalutra1

6. Devinco

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.