Why are you afraid of Big Bad Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Exactly :)

2. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

I began using Linux about a year ago. I have a multi-boot system that includes Windows 2000 Professional. I previously used Windows 98 SE, but now I use Linux almost exclusively. I like it much better than Windows, and installing software is easier and faster. Setting it up was a bit of a pain, but fortunately that's not something that needs to be dealt with very often.

Phil

3. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I'm happy to report that my Ubuntu print server is working perfectly with my new HP LaserJet 1320. Originally I had intended ot put the new printer on the XP machine upstairs and just share it, but my father was replacing his PC and gave me his old 400mhz to use as a linux box. Now the printer is downstairs near where my wife does most of her dissertation work on her laptop.

This was my first look at Ubuntu, and everything went so smoothly that I'm tempted to look at Ubuntu on my desktop.

C

4. lucky76

lucky76 Former Poster

It's actually Unix

I was working on Unix back in the 80's when it was the only choice for large business. Linux came along a few years ago. Big deal...... It's not for the faint hearted who are just looking for an alternative for Windows to surf the internet. It's desktop is not Windows. Repeat: It's not Windows.

An old man came in recently and said he had Ubuntu running on a computer and he couldn't get the modem to work. He wanted another modem. I told him it was not the modem, it was the driver. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about. This is a good example of people trying to use Linux.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Re: It's actually Unix

How about we buy modems and other hardware (and support vendors) that have Linux drivers and avoid manufacturers that take the narrow view?
    As little as I understand of Linux (so far), you could have sold him a brand new external (hardware not winmodem) modem that would have been compatible.

Are there any computer hardware stores online that offer Linux compatible computer parts and accessories?

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That's an obstacle right there. Most people already have a computer with windows. They don't want/need to buy more hardware, unless to upgrade.

7. cthorpe

I think one big obstacle, which is there long before issues with drivers and installing additional programs, is that there are too many choices top be made before someone can even try linux. Most people don't understand the differences among all the distros. Even more confusing is the differences to be found once someone picks a distro (Ubuntu, Kubuntu; Dapper, Edgy; desktop, server, alternate, etc). As much as we talk about wanting more choices, people tend to take the path that is laid out for them (windows) more often than something where a lot of decisions are needed.

8. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Some input from one of the Grammas. I started with dos and migrated to Windows. I hate windows XP after I added a new hard drive and my activation key wouldn't work. Microsoft wanted to charge me $30 to find out why it wouldn't work so I went back to Win 2000.

But my brain doesn't work like it did in the past. Just reading this thread makes me dizzy with the new terminology. Right now I'm trying to learn how to use BartPE and that will take me a lot of effort.

If Linux was user friendly for non-geek users, I would try it in a flash. I tried a dual boot a couple of years ago and ended having to completely reinstall everything so am "afraid" of even trying to use Linux in a dual boot.

I am thinking about buying a Mac when I replace my PC even though it will mean I'll have to replace some of my Windows software. Unless Apple starts using the activation stuff.

For an honest user, activation stinks. I'm still using Norton Virus 2003, just paying for each year's subscription, to avoid their activation. I lost a days worth of working time because I had to wait to talk to a Photoshop rep to get Photoshop reactivated.

In face if I was more of a geek, I'd think I'd become a pirate and figure out how to get around the activation so I wouldn't have to deal with the frustration anymore!

Just the thoughts of a Gramma :rolleyes:

9. cthorpe

Linux is definately getting easier for non-geek users once you chose your distro. As for fear of dual booting, Live CDs have really put that fear to rest for people who just want to take a look at linux. You just boot from the CD, have linux running, then when you are done, you reboot without the cd in the drive and everything is just how you left it.

C

10. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I would recommend if you do decide to try linux again, give a product called xandros a try. For home use without the need to connect to an AD or Domain enviroment, then Linspire or Freespire could also be a decent choice. While I personally like Linspire, at this time if I were looking at linux for someone just coming off a Windows box then Xandros is truly a great product.

If you interested in taking a look at xandros www.xandros.com or linspire www.linspire.com

For the record I personally like both Windows and Linux as well as many other OS's too. About the only OS I never cared for was apple's. Of course this is only my opinions so not trying to start an apple vs pc debate or anything.

11. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

For me it basically comes down to being lazy. I do install a linux distro now and then thinking this time I will dig into it. I go trough all the howtos and feel the power of being in control (well, sort of) like in the old DOS days when everything was done through the prompt. But after a while I start to long for a single click on a .exe file to do a install.
    And being a gamer doesnt help getting into Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.