Why are some scanners faster than others - what are the different scanning methods?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nine9s, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

On my computer, Avast, full custom scan with PUP on and full rootkit etc., takes about 5 minutes, Malwarebytes full scan takes about 7 minutes. I tried F-Secure free scanner download and it took about 3-5 minutes.

But Trend Micro HouseCall takes about 45-60 minutes, and I assume there are some others that would take a long time also.

What different methods do antivirus software use that would make for such larger differences?

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. spywar

spywar Registered Member

For your case it's definetly because of the cloud lookups. Trend micro checks file per file in the cloud which increase the scanning time.

Avast! gets its streaming updates so nothing is checked in the cloud during a scan.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Different vendor = different engine (mostly unless licensed), better coded, whitelists, and then heuristics, and advanced heuristics, behavior checking, reputation checking etc etc...it is different configurations in different engines. So it's almost impossible to say exactly why engine A is faster or slower than engine B or vice versa IMO. PC hardware may also play a role.

And usually the second scan is faster, sometimes a lot faster than the first scan. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.