whoseis how to

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Mercy_Me, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercy_Me

Mercy_Me Registered Member

I look at whois and always see Marina Del Rey in California, in Norton it has the Remote Service Port name as nickname(43). Is this working right? Everything on the face of my Post Explorer takes me to that same place most of the time.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there Mercy_Me,
    what are you exactly trying to look at?
    Open the Utilites > whois or rightclick on a connection > whois ?
    For instance you open the utilities > whois and paste on top the www.wilderssecurity.com
    which whois do you see?
    do the same in the Utilities > resolve on top (host) and press resolve host, it should give you the IP
    Look at the Pinf/trace and it should show you the connection over the various hops to your system.
    Does this all work correctly?
    On top of the whois you can whois for an IP address or a www...... address.

3. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Hi Mercy_Me

When you do a whois on people who are using private IP address ranges , such as these below for example , then you will get whois results for IP addresses assigned by Iana.org... which is why you get that Marina Del Rey stuff ;)

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
    4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
    Marina del Rey
    CA

The majority of the IP address ranges in use on the internet [ not private address ranges] are handled by Arin , Ripe or Apnic.

If you are looking for some extra reading material on IP addresses/ports etc , try this link:
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=52

Also , in Port Explorer make sure that you right click on the remote address , [not the local address] when you want to resolve/whois/ping/traceroute any IP address.

The port for whois is 43 , so when you check your norton firewall , so my guess is that you are probably looking at the whois connection from Port Explorer. :p

4. Mercy_Me

Mercy_Me Registered Member

Thank you Moore, Hi Jooske
    I did what you said Jooske and got all the Wilders information.
    Organization:
    wilders security
    I guess I need to read more so I know how to use the program and will go to and mark the link that Moore posted.

Take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.