Who's spying on my Hotmail?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Paul Wilders, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Spyware firm SpectorSoft Corp. which makes eBlaster, is hardly a stranger to controversy. But the new e-mail monitoring technology, which company president Doug Fowler described as “almost a wiretap,” is sure to stir even more.

more..

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi Paul! Thanks for that article. Very serious! I put a posting with credit given to you and Wilders about this at Net-Integration in their Suggestions Forum. I very much want SpybotS&D to blow this stuff away! I am now very glad that I switched to ZipLip! Whew! That was close. Thanks!

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

thanks from me too, Paul!

quite a few people are getting links to this article right now :D

this kind of thing just makes me shake with anger.
    it's bad enough when an employer does it without the FULL knowledge given to the employee that this kind of snooping is being done.....but for a parent to do such a thing to their child. ~shaking my head~ the trust lost between them would be unrepairable!

to me it is no different than opening someone's private mail, whether it be an employee, a spouse, a child, or a friend's........it shows a total lack of respect for a person's rights and the freedom to enjoy those rights.

is love, respect and trust becoming obsolete? ~sigh~

4. Paul Wilders

Well guys,

Your are entering the ethical zone here, instead of the legal zone.

As for ethics: they differ from person to person. As for the legal aspect: most problably that isn't an issue here.

btw: credits are due to securiteam. One of the rare ocassions I forgot to mention the source - apologies for that!

regards.

paul

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Paul, you are right, it is definitely an ethical zone, apologies. my son is off to college tomorrow and i must be feeling over-protective - just spent last few hour's making sure his pc was a clean and tight as possible....(probably more than i had a right to) ;)

snap

6. Paul Wilders

No prob snap - and no need to apologize in any way! ;)

regards.

paul

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

PestPatrol detects eBlaster.

Quote from the Pest Info from PestPatrol:

[hr]

EBlaster

Category: Key Logger
    Description: From the doc: 'eBlaster will AUTOMATICALLY monitor PC activity from a remote location. Install eBlaster once on the PC and walk away. There is no need to return to the computer...EVER! Once installed, eBlaster monitors the PC and then delivers detailed activity reports right to your e-mail address, as frequently as every 30 minutes. eBlaster records: All Web Sites Visited All Applications Run All Keystrokes Typed All Chat Conversations All Instant Messages (including both sides of a Yahoo, MSN or AOL instan

A Keystroke Logger runs in the background, recording all the keystrokes. Once keystrokes are logged, they are hidden in the machine for later retrieval, or shipped raw to the attacker.
    Author: Spectorsoft
    Creation Date: 6/14/2002

8. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Here we go again. What you do on your own computer and in your own time is entirely up to you but what you do on a computer somebody else has paid for, during the time that they are paying you for work, is something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.